Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W210 headlight adjuster motor and lens

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 971 Likes on 755 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
W210 headlight adjuster motor and lens

Attached are instructions for replacing the lens and cleaning the headlight adjuster stepper motor assembly.

My W210's lens was not a candidate for refurbishment due to cracks in the lens. I located a replacement lens on Ebay for $125 versus ~$700 for a replacement headlight assembly.

The diagnostic system displayed a major fault in the headlight stepper motor assembly with fault codes of "bad cable" and "stuck motor". I decided to disassemble and clean the assembly in an attempt to correct this. I succeeded.

Who knows, maybe I'll get a sticky out of this! ;-)

Hope this helps someone else.
Attached Thumbnails W210 headlight adjuster motor and lens-100_2316_resize.jpg  
Attached Files

Last edited by bbirdwell; 12-20-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Update

Replaced the other lens today.

First photo is a better photo of the headlight adjustment stepper motor.

The other photos will give you an idea of what a box containing a replacement headlight lens looks like after arriving from Latvia...it did not feel the love coming this way. Lens arrived with minor, but repairable, damage. Internal lens had two of the four mounting points broken, repaired with silicon seal rather than trying to send this one back and hope for another to arrive in better shape.
Attached Thumbnails W210 headlight adjuster motor and lens-w210-e55-headlight-stepper-motor.jpg   W210 headlight adjuster motor and lens-latvia-delivery-lens-2.jpg   W210 headlight adjuster motor and lens-latvia-delivery-lens-3.jpg  
Old 01-01-2016, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Update: stepper motor refurb

Left headlight stopped adjusting. Attached is the diagnosis and repair of the stepper motor issue. At some point in the future I will remove the headlights again and rewire everything but the Xenon headlight harness. The insulation is becoming very frangible.
Attached Files