Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E300TD Lowering Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E300 TD
E300TD Lowering Questions

Hello everyone, recently purchased a 1999 E300TD and thought I would restore the front end and lower it a bit. The problem is once I installed the Eibach Sport Springs with the Bilstein Sport shocks (Yellow) all around, the front end sagged too much (I was advised to go with a thinner spring pad - #1 I think - but had to reinstall the stock spring pad and it is still to low for my taste). I want to raise the front a little bit more as there is a noticeable difference between the height of the rear and the front. Now I read in another post that the reason for the additional sag is the weight of the diesel engine. If that is true what should I do to raise the height of front safely? I assume that I cannot simply reinstall the stock springs since I have installed and want to keep the shorter Bilstien Sport shocks (Or can I go back to the stock springs without an issue?) . Finally, I have 17" rims on it and want to go to 18" rims. What I would like to know is:

Should I simply look to install a taller/bigger Spring Pad? Isn't my stock pad the largest?
If I can't install a larger spring pad, should I consider taking a band saw and - I know how silly this sounds - cutting off one of the rungs of the factory spring. I did this years ago in Nissan with great results.
What is the best way to achieve a more balanced ride height and less body roll without going too severe in standard daily driving?
Considering my desire to go with 18" rims, any advise to avoid the rear camber adjustment, while maintaining the lower Eibach Springs?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

C-