Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EIS or other problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 R350, 2006 E350
EIS or other problem?

I have a 2009 R350. It has been a great car, but recently it began to hesitate or not start when the key is turned. One of the first times it happened, a message came up saying it did not recognize the key. That has not happened since, but the problem continues. Sometimes if you turn the key and hold it for a second or two it will start. Sometimes it takes twenty tries. We have two keys and it does it with either key. The car battery seems fine. When the key turns and there is no response, it is like the car is dead. No dash lights, etc. We are 400 miles from the nearest dealer and need help! Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:32 PM

2009 R350, 2006 E350
Testing
Old 01-30-2015, 04:14 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Yes your EIS is bad this is a common issue on the R, GL and ML vehicles.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010Mercedes w204
Originally Posted by Al Wayne
I have a 2009 R350. It has been a great car, but recently it began to hesitate or not start when the key is turned. One of the first times it happened, a message came up saying it did not recognize the key. That has not happened since, but the problem continues. Sometimes if you turn the key and hold it for a second or two it will start. Sometimes it takes twenty tries. We have two keys and it does it with either key. The car battery seems fine. When the key turns and there is no response, it is like the car is dead. No dash lights, etc. We are 400 miles from the nearest dealer and need help! Any ideas would be appreciated.
Al--I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like the common EIS/ESL problem that Mercedes has been aware of since 2008 and just keeps raking in money for repairs instead of a recall. Mine was a 2010 c300 that started just as you say. The only one that has the equipment to diagnose (how convenient!) is the dealer. I was 2 months out of warranty with 35,000 miles. My bill was $2,000 for both units! MBUSA offered me $150.00 for apparel at the dealer! Wow!
I got the car back on a Thursday and it was traded in on a BMW 335xi on Saturday! The BMW is twice the car as the Mercedes! I got rid of mine before the word gets out. I'll never buy another MB product! Check out this forum and other forums for others that have been screwed. Search EIS/ESL. Sorry you were added to the extensive list.
Good luck with your problem. Please post if you find out what it is.