Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MB Techs, which oil extractor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 : 2007 C230
Question MB Techs, which oil extractor?

Any of you MB techs out there, which oil extractor does your shop use? I'm guessing it's not the topsider
Old 03-19-2002, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Personally I use the extractor that Griots Garage sells. I think it is the best on the markey in terms of build qulaity.

Here is the link to it : LINK - Click Here

If you look around, I beleive you can find the same unit sans the lifetime warranty for $10 less.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by awiner
Personally I use the extractor that Griots Garage sells. I think it is the best on the markey in terms of build qulaity.

Here is the link to it : LINK - Click Here
If you look around, I beleive you can find the same unit sans the lifetime warranty for $10 less.
Thanks, but I have already seen the Pellas/Topsiders & others, I'm curious what the dealers use.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
The dealers use a pneumatic device which hooks into their commercial grade shop compressor system. It drains the whole case in less than 1 minute. I know that the device used to be called "Monica" at MBTechs dealership.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:50 AM

500 SEC
I have used TOPSIDER for many years. The can is low to the ground and does not tip over. (very important) The attached picture of the one recomeneded above seems to me a hazard as it is top heavy.

I have not used it so I really can not comment. I tell you though this is the way to go. I have changed oil with my topsider in a TUX! (not a drop where it should not be!) It is great also as you can store it till you get a chance to drop it off at the oil recycle bin.

Courtesy; Overtons.Com http://www.overtonsonline.com

Last edited by Ski Guru; 03-20-2002 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2002, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by Ski Guru
I have used TOPSIDER for many years. The can is low to the ground and does not tip over. (very important) The attached picture of the one recomeneded above seems to me a hazard as it is top heavy.

The pictured unit actually has a metal fold out "foot" that stabilizes the unit and keeps it from tipping.
Old 03-20-2002, 04:57 PM

500 SEC
I am just a simple kinda guy and the topsider is a no brainer even for a guy like me.

And BTW the small profile of the can fits in your trunk so you can drive it to the recycling center.... just a thought.

Last edited by Ski Guru; 03-20-2002 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2002, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK, I know about all these, and I have even found a few more, but does anyone know what the dealers use?????

Others:
Old 03-20-2002, 05:57 PM

500 SEC
WOW, Kwik, you got a garage or something?

ASTOR, is what my guy uses, but hey man this is for some kinda stuff. Hope you got a bulk oil contract too. I would be interested in how you gonna put it in! Don't see you opening those littel quarts, go for the 55 gal drum and an electric pump!

Seems like a lot of fun.

Good luck!
Old 03-20-2002, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

WOW, Kwik, you got a garage or something?
No, but we have an empty space with roll-up door at work that we are considering turning into a service bay for the employees.

ASTOR, is what my guy uses, but hey man this is for some kinda stuff. Hope you got a bulk oil contract too. I would be interested in how you gonna put it in! Don't see you opening those littel quarts, go for the 55 gal drum and an electric pump!
We have a Mobil distributor 2 blocks away.

Putting the oil in is the easy part, getting it out without a mess is the hard part. I think #4 above looks like a good compromise between price & capacity.

I would still like more info on what the dealers use. My nearest dealer is 40 minutes away or I would have been there by now.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:01 AM

Why don't you call up the various dealers and ask what they use?
Old 03-21-2002, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by darkLCD
Why don't you call up the various dealers and ask what they use?
I tried a few, but they all gave some lame answer about not knowing 'cause it's been there so long.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:16 AM
Almost a Member!

'99 C43
OK, KWiK, here's the definitive answer. Per MB via Alldata.

I like the range of pricing!

John

Last edited by jhuang; 03-27-2002 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:19 AM
Almost a Member!

'99 C43
Here's the actual text from TSB S-58_00-118 010301, entitled "Engine Oil - Approved Evacuation Equipment"

Email me if you want the text for each of the four pieces of equipment.

Hope this helps,

John

++++++++++++++++

Date: March 2001

Order No.: S-SI-58.00/118

Supersedes:

Group 58

SUBJECT:
ALL ENGINES
APPROVED OIL EVACUATION EQUIPMENT

The purpose of this Service Information is to inform dealers that Approved Oil Evacuation Equipment, which is used to extract used engine oil from the engine via the oil dipstick tube, is now available for order. Mercedes-Benz engines are designed to allow the extraction of engine oil from under the hood via the dipstick tube. The engine dipstick tube has an enlarged cross section, plus a formed extension at the top end where the dipstick is inserted and the approved engine oil evacuation equipment interfaces. The opposite end of the dipstick ends just short of the oil pan bottom, thus engine oil can be extracted via the approved oil evacuation equipment by using the dipstick tube. Additionally, the engine dipstick tube itself is the conduit through which spent engine oil is moved to the oil evacuation equipment.

In addition, service and repair components for existing approved oil evacuation equipment is also available.

Note: Because the engine oil dipstick tube is the conduit through which spent engine oil is extracted, inserting tubular probes through the dipstick tube is NOT recommended.

Special Note for M-class:

Due to the location of the vehicle frame and suspension components, the draining of engine oil via the engine crankcase oil drain plug is not recommended, since this can lead to engine oil coming in contact and subsequently be damaging to the rubber suspension components. Thus, it is strongly recommended to use the approved oil evacuation equipment contained in the Service Information for this purpose.

Index

1. FLACO

2. RAASM

3. BDM Engineering

4. Deutsche Tecalemit (DT)

WARNING! This approved oil evacuation equipment is to be exclusively used for the evacuation of engine oil, transmission oil, power steering oil, and differential oil only.

^ Do not use this equipment to extract caustic (i.e. battery acid) or flammable liquids (i.e. gasolines).

^ Do not expose the waste oil reservoir to any source of heat.

^ Do not perform any welding repairs on the oil evacuation equipment.

^ Wear face and hand protection when extracting engine oil of high temperature.

^ Use the oil evacuation equipment only for the extraction of oil.

^ Do not modify any of the equipment component.

Price List

1.0 Orders can be placed via the MBUSA Standard Service Equipment Program (SSEP), by calling 1-888-458-4040

2.0 All equipment is delivered and serviced by:

AGA, Inc.
1041 Carriage Place Drive
Bettendorf, IA 52722
Phone Toll-Free: 1-888-824-2462

++++++++++++++++

Last edited by jhuang; 03-27-2002 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

jhuang,
Thank you, now that is what I call an answer!

The one from BDM Engineering is the least expensive and most compact, plus they just lowered the price to $299.

Now I know what to buy.
Old 03-27-2002, 03:31 PM

500 SEC
Yeah, I second that GREAT JOB, jhuang!

Good work!

This guy should be a moderator or something!
Old 03-27-2002, 03:35 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 C43
Thanks guys. That's the last thing I need, though, is my wife finding out about another car-related unpaid job!

Wierd, I just noticed that the picture about changed. Is there a way for me to post a picture then insert the link so it shows up inline?

P-car guys will know what I mean from the Rennlist site.
Old 03-27-2002, 03:40 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 C43
Never mind, I fixed it. The image is now in the TSB too.

Excuse the newbie over-posting mess.
Old 03-27-2002, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

so jhuang, do you work at a dealer
Old 03-27-2002, 03:57 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 C43
Sheez, I wish I worked at a dealer. Then I could have found my C43 without flying all the way to Florida to get it and wouldn't have to drive it back!

Nope, I'm just a regular car nut who likes to know everything about the cars I own!

BTW, does anyone know if the parts CD that the dealers have runs on anything besides a Sun station?
Old 01-06-2006, 08:13 PM

NAG 2 adapter?

Hi
Im looking for the NAG 2 adapter which is used to fill up the automatic transmission oil on a 7 speed auto transmission. Can anyone help me find this item?

Thanks
Regards,
Joseph
Old 02-01-2014, 05:26 AM

06 s65 BiTurbo V-12
Mercedes Approved Oil Evacuation Equipment

MB DIY Techs, I am the owner of the Scavenger oil evacuation equipment from BDM engineering. I plan on releasing the product again after several years of relaxation. We have techs in Mercedes Benz dealers that have bein using the system since 1997. They are solid units made of stainless steel. Please visite the internet port called wayback machine and find www.oilsucker.com 1998 to get a better view. You can contact me at 18583817923 David. The price is 349.00 pluse 16.00 shipping. They are 4.9 gallon units. Using 2.2 cfm of air with an included regulator you can use a tire air compressor. The system will suck cold diff fluid and will suck your engine oil in about 2-3 minutes faster than you can change the filter. I personally have 16 years as a diognostic tech for MB USA and this system was built for the abuse of a line tech. The first unit I still own put 7500 gallons of oil threw it every month for 6 months. You can not find a better unit almost 17 years later. This unit was made the correct way.

QUOTE=jhuang;41713]Here's the actual text from TSB S-58_00-118 010301, entitled "Engine Oil - Approved Evacuation Equipment"

Email me if you want the text for each of the four pieces of equipment.

Hope this helps,

John

Order No.: S-SI-58.00/1

Group 58

SUBJECT:
ALL ENGINES
APPROVED OIL EVACUATION EQUIPMENT

The purpose of this Service Information is to inform dealers that Approved Oil Evacuation Equipment, which is used to extract used engine oil from the engine via the oil dipstick tube, is now available for order. Mercedes-Benz engines are designed to allow the extraction of engine oil from under the hood via the dipstick tube. The engine dipstick tube has an enlarged cross section, plus a formed extension at the top end where the dipstick is inserted and the approved engine oil evacuation equipment interfaces. The opposite end of the dipstick ends just short of the oil pan bottom, thus engine oil can be extracted via the approved oil evacuation equipment by using the dipstick tube. Additionally, the engine dipstick tube itself is the conduit through which spent engine oil is moved to the oil evacuation equipment.

In addition, service and repair components for existing approved oil evacuation equipment is also available.

Note: Because the engine oil dipstick tube is the conduit through which spent engine oil is extracted, inserting tubular probes through the dipstick tube is NOT recommended.

Special Note for M-class:

Due to the location of the vehicle frame and suspension components, the draining of engine oil via the engine crankcase oil drain plug is not recommended, since this can lead to engine oil coming in contact and subsequently be damaging to the rubber suspension components. Thus, it is strongly recommended to use the approved oil evacuation equipment contained in the Service Information for this purpose.

Index

1. FLACO

2. RAASM

3. BDM Engineering

4. Deutsche Tecalemit (DT)

WARNING! This approved oil evacuation equipment is to be exclusively used for the evacuation of engine oil, transmission oil, power steering oil, and differential oil only.

^ Do not use this equipment to extract caustic (i.e. battery acid) or flammable liquids (i.e. gasolines).

^ Do not expose the waste oil reservoir to any source of heat.

^ Do not perform any welding repairs on the oil evacuation equipment.

^ Wear face and hand protection when extracting engine oil of high temperature.

^ Use the oil evacuation equipment only for the extraction of oil.

^ Do not modify any of the equipment component.

Price List

1.0 Orders can be placed via the MBUSA Standard Service Equipment Program (SSEP), by calling 1-888-458-4040

2.0 All equipment is delivered and serviced by:

AGA, Inc.
1041 Carriage Place Drive
Bettendorf, IA 52722
Phone Toll-Free: 1-888-824-2462

++++++++++++++++[/QUOTE]
Old 02-26-2014, 01:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 GL350, 2005 BMW X5 4.8is, 2015 BMW 328d
I made a vacuum oil extractor out of a 55gal drum, drilled two holes on top, put two qwik-disconnects and put one end to the vacuum, and the other to a barb connector and attached a 1/4" polypropylene hose to insert that into the dipstick tube. Now I can't take a 55 drum to the local recycler, so I put two stopcocks near the bottom of the drum, one at a height just the same as a 4qt. jug. I drain off the upper to give to my buddy who runs black diesel, and the bottom to the recycler.