Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood open warning - no wipers ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 MB c270 cdi
Question Hood open warning - no wipers ??

I am suddenly confronted with this very strange scenario. My C270 CDI 2002 display this red lit warning HOOD OPEN when I drive off and yet the HOOD is shut firm? The warning only displays when I start up and drive off. Once I click the select button on the steering wheel, it goes away for the rest of the journey. Soon as I park, shut off and restart, the warning is back?

Now I also noticed that since this warning pops up after a restart, the wipers dont work when I come to a stand still, regardless of the wiper setting. Soon as the vehicle is on the move, the wipers work fine ??

Hood-open-wipers work on the move mystery of sorts ??? Have not noticed any other issues or warnings ??
Old 04-02-2018, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB R350
Hood open warning only while driving and wipers only work while driving

I have similar scenario on my 2008 R350. Hood open warning comes on only when driving and my wipers only work while driving. Any help please?

Originally Posted by tswest
I am suddenly confronted with this very strange scenario. My C270 CDI 2002 display this red lit warning HOOD OPEN when I drive off and yet the HOOD is shut firm? The warning only displays when I start up and drive off. Once I click the select button on the steering wheel, it goes away for the rest of the journey. Soon as I park, shut off and restart, the warning is back?

Now I also noticed that since this warning pops up after a restart, the wipers dont work when I come to a stand still, regardless of the wiper setting. Soon as the vehicle is on the move, the wipers work fine ??

Hood-open-wipers work on the move mystery of sorts ??? Have not noticed any other issues or warnings ??
Old 04-10-2018, 09:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2009 e class 2012 ml350
the hood switch must be faulty, it should be on one off the hood latches, the reason they work when moving is for safety
Old 04-10-2018, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Check the left side hood latch, the sensor is probably broken off, happens fairly often on the older cars, the housing is plastic and comes apart after a while.