Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

m272 exhaust camshaft adjuster question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 07:28 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
2012 ML350 Bluetec, 2015 GL350 Bluetec
m272 exhaust camshaft adjuster question

I'm working on replacing the worn balance shaft on my 07 R350 with M272 engine. The WIS calls for removing the right side camshaft adjusters before I can remove the balance shaft I did that. I locked the exhaust camshaft backlash before removal. However when I was trying to put it back I didn't seat it all the way before I removed the pin(my fault...). Now the small ring gear is not up with the intake camshaft gear and it's half tooth off from the large ring. I'm wondering if there's any way to "reset" the backlash and re-lock it? How does the factory do this?
Old 08-05-2020, 01:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honda Accord
Im here to help anyone searching for the answer. It can be fixed easily.

You need a largish pair of snap ring pliers. and a flathead screwdriver.

Looking at the exhaust cam adjuster you see the part where you forgot to put a dowel pin. There is a half inch wide metal ring that presses against that part. This outer ring is the spring that holds tension on the outer row of teeth. Using the snap ring pliers you put one end in the dowel whole and the other in the little cutout on the spring ring. Then open it up. Slide a screw driver into the gap to hold **** in place. Then insert your dowel.

The tricky part is figuring out which direction to move the little gear row. The purpose of the spring loaded outer ring is to prevent noise between the gears on cold start. So its going to want to push against the intake cam's direction of rotation. For the left bank, have the dowel hole at 12 o'clock, using the pliers loosen the left side and insert the flat head at 9 o'clock, then lock your gears in place with the dowel. For the right bnk do the opposite so the screwdriver is at 3 o'clock.

Nothing cant be repaired.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (08-05-2020)
Old 01-19-2022, 01:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 c230k
Help

On resetting the exhaust adjuster. I figured a way the teeth back so I can lock it in place. Yes I forgot the pin. But my issue is how many teeth back am I supposed to go? Is there any way to check the timing other than the marks on the adjuster. I want to know if my exhaust is opening properly on time
Old 06-10-2024, 07:18 PM

2008 ML 350 4Matic
I know this is an old thread but any help is appreciated.
I did insert a pin in the Exhaust Cam Adjuster before I removed it but it moved and stilll holding between the front and back teeth but will not budge.
@IdontownaMB can you help please?

Old 06-11-2024, 01:29 AM

2008 ML 350 4Matic
Update:

Once I managed to get the Intake adjuster on, I squeezed this exhaust adjuster in using a T60 on the back of camshaft and turned the camshaft a little and the teeth just lined up. This is because I still had the pin in between the teeth.