Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 c220 CDI estate cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 CDI Estate 2003
2003 c220 CDI estate cranks but won't start

Hi i am looking for some help with my car.
I drove to work in my car good as gold this morning, It has sat all day as it always does. the car started this evening at always instantly and then after about 1 second stopped. I then cranked the car and it won't start. Plugged in my snapon scanner and there are no codes present in the engine ecu, fuel pressure is about 300bar on cranking and seems to hold it well when not cranking. it is also registering engine RPM when cranking of between 180-300. after 3 more attempts of cranking it did eventually fire and start to run as if the fuel had run back then ran well and idled. after about a minute i then switched it off and it immediately started again and idled as normal but after about 30 seconds or so stopped dead, fuel pressure was good when running and about 2-300 bar after cutting out and now refuses to start but still cranks.
I am a diesel mechanic and have had quiet a bit of experience with this engine in a sprinter van and have never had this fault so I'm feeling a little lost.
From memory the fuel pressure I'm seeing when cranking should be enough for the ecu to start firing the injectors? and I'm assuming if it is registering engine rpm then the crank sensor must be working?
Hopefully somebody wiser than me is reading this and can help?

Thanks Glen