Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink in 2016 G550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 10:38 AM

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Edition
Homelink in 2016 G550

I just took delivery of a 2016 G550 on Monday and am having trouble getting the Homelink to program.

The steps to reset Homelink say to:

1) Put the ignition switch into the 2 position (on, but without the engine running).
2) Press and hold the 2 outer buttons for around 20 seconds until the light starts blinking.

The problem is that the light never blinks. It goes through solid green, solid amber, solid red, and then off.

Same thing with programming the individual buttons - the light never blinks, but cycles through the colors.

I've got a call into the dealer, but figured someone here might know what's going on. The salesperson mentioned that the programming procedure has changed and is "more complicated", but didn't seem to know the specifics.

Otherwise, I'm liking the new G550 so far (it replaced a 2014 G550, so it's not radically different other than a different color combination and the new biturbo engine).
Old 01-02-2016, 07:38 PM

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Edition
The dealer didn't have any updated printed instructions, yet they were going to send someone out to my house to program the buttons for me and the service department looked at it this morning and said it's working fine (which implies they must have instructions too...). Anyway, some quality time with Google turned up the answer:

http://www.benzblogger.com/2011/10/p...edes-benz.html

It took me about 2 minutes with these instructions to program the buttons for both garage doors. It's funny how having the correct instructions makes a difference.

I passed the link along to the salesperson and suggested that he find a way to pass the word up the chain so the people who write the manuals can provide owners with the correct instructions. It's rather irksome that everyone at the dealer seemed surprised that I couldn't get the buttons programmed, yet the instructions that were included with the vehicle were clearly way off and these new instructions have apparently been needed since the 2012 model year.

I now vaguely remember having to do the same thing when I programmed the buttons on my 2014 G550.