Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ML55 Vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 01:41 AM
Con

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ML55 Vibration

I recently bought an ML55 and have had problems with vibration occuring at 90 km/h - 110 km/h (55mph - 70mph) the vibration comes from all round the car. The car has been back to the dealer many times and has had new tires fitted new mags but still no improvement. The dealer has no idea what the problem is.

I was wondering if any one has any ideas or has experieced this problem.

Thanks

Con

Old 03-28-2002, 01:50 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Has the problem occured since you first owned the car? Is the problem occuring when the tires are cold (driven for the first 4-5 miles) and does the problem go away after continued driving? Have you driven another ml55 to see if it suffers from the same problem? If your dealer has another ml55 for sale and it drives ok, swap the wheels and tires from the dealer car to yours and test drive it to see what occurs...if the vibration is gone then it's a tire wheel balance problem, especially because they have put new tires and wheels on yours and your still having the same problem which helps eleminate an out of round tire or bad rim. Some dealers may not have the best balancing equipment ie;Hunter9700 and may not be match mounting/indexing the wheels to the tires. Some of the suspension bushings may have something to do with your problem. I know that my 99clk 430 had no problems with vibrations and both my 00 and 01 are much more sensitive to them...I'd sure love to know what small changes MBZ made in 00+,I wouldn't be suprised if they changed certian bushing densities etc.

Hope this helps.

RJC

Last edited by RJC; 03-28-2002 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:03 AM
Con

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. The problem has occured since I have first had the car and the problem occurs at all times. I have driven other ML55's they also have the problem but no were near as bad as mine does. The wheels and tires from another ML55 have been put on the car with little improvement. They have also replaced the standard Dunlop tires with Pirelli PZero's and this has made no difference. They have also replaced the transfer case and the shocks and this made very little difference. At this stage no one seems to know what the problem is, if anyone has any ideas please get back to me.

Thanks

Con