Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 M350 BlueTEC Massive Air Flow Sensor Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13' M350 BlueTEC
2013 M350 BlueTEC Massive Air Flow Sensor Help

MAF Questions, Advice would be much appreciated

2013 ML350 Bluetec W166 (Diesel)
Engine light came on
The following OBD2 codes came up
P0100 - Mass or Volume Air Flow “A” Circuit
P0113 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High Bank 1
P0110 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit Bank 1

So driving Friday night, and engine light comes on. I scan the ODB2 codes and get the above. I do some research and it seems like I need a MAF sensor replaced. Im thinking $100 something for a sensor and a hour or so cost for install.

I schedule a service with a local Mercedes Dealership for Saturday morning (next day) and take the car in early. After 3 hours or so of looking at my car they come back with my car requiring a possibility of 3 new parts.

Either
642-905-05-00 for $360 quantity of 2
Or replace
642-090-17-42 for $1070.
and
2.5 hours cost of service.

Also the following test were done the car:
“78311 Internal Electrical Malfunction of Right Mass Air Flow Sensor
Performed SDS Short Test, DTC 100B00, Upper Limit Reached, 100D00, Lower Limit Reached, 161700 Right Intake Air Temp Sensor Implausible, Performed Guided Test of Mass Air Flow and Temp Sensor Readings, noted Right Side intermittently will read 0% at 178 Degrees F. Left Side 44% at 78 Degrees F. Performed leak test of Intake and Intercooler system, PASS Advise Replacement of Right Mass Air Flow Sensor with Seals. “

So based on the parts they recommend replaced and the description of the test, and Advice, it just doesn’t make sense to me. Can anyone please help me make sense of this, because I thought it was just a sensor that would need to be replaced on the top of my engine. I mean I think I see the sensors once I remove the cover on top of my engine, they don’t look that hard to replace. Remove the Electrical Harness from the sensor, unscrew and remove sensor, screw on new sensor. However I may be totally wrong, and the quote for repairs may be Fair, I would just like a reassurance one way or the other.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13' M350 BlueTEC
Ok, met with another service center. They confirmed my questions.

The dealership is working under the assumption that the second sensor will fail soon. So they want to purchase 2 Qty parts of 642-905-05-00 to replace both. That way the problem (or similar) will not occur again several months later. These parts look like they clip on pretty easily. The part is currently on order, so once it arrives I will let you know.

The other part contains both the above parts and everything in-between. This part would be required if there was an air leak on the system, but based on the above description the part passed a smoke leak test, so the $360 part should do it.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Hi I had a similar issue and just had it resolved today. I had started a thread but wanted to post here if helps other users. I had the check engine light come on and it showed a Mass air flow error code on an OBD II reader. I cleaned the two Mass air sensors with CPC cleaner, the check engine light did NOT go off. Then there was this new hissing noise from the right side of the engine compartment that had me thinking there was also a new Turbo seal or EGR valve issue. Took it in, turns out that the boost hose had a split that was both causing the check engine light to come on as well as the loud hissing noise. $500 later all fixed which is always a good day in the MB world when you get things fixed that are brokem. Car was a month out of warranty with 37,000 miles and babied for 4 years which is frustrating.