Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A strange noise in my SL500(R230) brakes. Please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02' SL 500
A strange noise in my SL500(R230) brakes. Please help!

Hello,

I need your help. I have a problem with my R230 SL500 brakes. Everytime I stop there's a strange noise from the back of the car. It's not just a noise but more like knocking sound. The problem started few months ago when the computer that manage the electicity betweek the two batteries went down and my brakes went in emergency mode. I've been in the MB service box many times but it seems like they can't find the problem. I'm tired of going there and losing hours for nothign.

I need advice from someone professional who knows why such a problem might occure.

I'll be greatful if someone who knows what the problem might be replay to my message.

Thanks,
Nasko
Old 02-26-2004, 09:47 PM
Almost a Member!

02' SL 500
I hear the noise in two occasions only. When I'm stoping just before the car stops to 0 the noise occurs and when I release the brake pedal as well. Please help.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:22 AM

11 ML350
Yah, almost all the SL's if driven have the same nosie, there is a fix for it, so just take it back to the dealer and they will fix it.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:18 PM

99 C43 AMG & 2008 Corvette 1LT Z51 LS3
There is an updated mounting plate for the EBC Control Unit. It turns out that the brakes create micro air bubbles in the braking system and the noise you are hearing is the system trying to filter the air out. The new mounting bracket changes the angle of the EBC Control Unit and allows these micro air bubbles to excape and get rid of the noise that you are hearing.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:10 PM

Nasko,
Do you already have that modified mounting plate? What is the part number of it? (There are two types)
What is the part number AND "Q-version" of your SBC-unit?
Do you already have the external damper installed?
Are you sure that it comes from the SBC-system?
Has your dealer already checked the position of the tubes/hoses (I do not know the proper English for it) at the SBC-unit and where the rubber protector is located?
Old 03-01-2004, 08:44 AM
Almost a Member!

02' SL 500
Patrick,

Thank you for your replay.

They did change something (the mounting plate I guess) but the problem haven't disapeared. For the part numbers I have to check.

I don't have an external damper.

I'm pretty sure it comes from the barkes.

I'm not sure about your last question. I'll have to ask.

You are saying that there are two types of the mounting plate? I guess that's why I still have the noise after replaing it.

Thanks,
Nasko