Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High RPM shifting 240D

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
240 D
High RPM shifting 240D

I have fixed numerous vacuum leaks in my "beast" but am still having issues. I have good vacuum up to the vacuum control valve, but there seems to be no vacuum there. I have replaced the "flippers" on top of the valve cover but that didn't seem to make any difference.

1. The car shifts hard from first to second. I understand this is common and I can live with it.
2. The car shifts fine from first to second, second to third, and third to fourth but at very high RPMs. Shift to second at about 23 mph. Shifts to third at about 38-40 mph. Shifts to high over 60 mph. The shifts seem to be OK with no flaring or slipping. Also, it shifts quickly when it decides to shift - there is no hesitation.
3. It shifts from first to second at lower speeds than above if I pop it into neutral and allow the RPMs to drop to idle. Then I put it back into drive and it goes into second easily. Same thing going from second to third, although not as easily. Shifting that way allows me to drive at lower RPMs without it sounding like it was a plane getting ready to taxi or take-off.

I am a relative newby to these cars and love it. I think my next step would be the vacuum control valve or the 3/2 valves. Or, the plug that leads to the 3/2 valves seems a little loose. I have vacuum on both sides, but perhaps when it is put together, the seal isn't what it needs to be. What do you think?

I would appreciate any help you folks could give.

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
mb, saab, acura, dodge
Check the vacuum modulator on the trans and the line going to it.
The following users liked this post:
Zipperdog (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 05:02 PM

240 D
Is that the one near the fuel shut off valve or is there another one that is in or mounted right on the transmission?
Old 04-12-2016, 07:28 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
mb, saab, acura, dodge
On side of trans, original parts were green, replacements are red. Could have oil in the line making it not function. Follow the vac. Line down to it.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:06 PM

240 D
Originally Posted by GLENN S.
On side of trans, original parts were green, replacements are red. Could have oil in the line making it not function. Follow the vac. Line down to it.
Great. Thanks