Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership left dipstick out for six to twelve months

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz C300
Dealership left dipstick out for six to twelve months

I own a C300 Sedan. We always take it to the dealership for service. We just took it into service and the service manager calls us and tells us the dipstick is missing. Since we take it to them for service, they assumed responsibility for the dipstick. After the call we reviewed the records and found a small note on our service from November stating that the dipstick was missing.

I'm under the impression that dirt and sand can find it's way to the bearings in the engine through exposed opening left by the missing dipstick. While I appreciate the dealership accepting responsibility, they are adamant that no damage was done to the engine. Just a couple weeks ago before this discovery, we drove the car 1500 miles in 4 days for a cross-country trip. Should we be concerned about the condition of our engine?

In addition, I'm not happy with the multiple failures of the service department and the attitude that they have taken regarding my concern. We are very careful about being respectful with our service manager as we understand that he is not directly responsible but I do not believe that the service manager is addressing our concerns professionally. I would like to bring this to the attention of Mercedes Benz.

Lastly, we were going to purchase a new Mercedes in the next month or so, but now we are reluctant to proceed as they are by far the most convenient dealership for us and I'm not sure I want to give this dealership our continued business.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2016, 08:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
I can appreciate your unfounded concerns, however, I think that you have some responsibility as a car owner to once in awhile lift the hood and nose around---for what who knows, but if you had done that you would have noticed the missing dipstick months ago and we would have saved bandwidth and you a nights sleep!!

The good news is that if the SM is any good he will have tightened up on his shop practices.
The following users liked this post:
Euler (06-29-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 07:45 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
mb, saab, acura, dodge
Why didn't they order a dipstick in November? Incompetent! I can't believe the ck engine lamp didn't cone on.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 C63, 2008 ML550, 2014 KTM 500 XC W, John Deere 990
What are you expecting them to do? Maybe a complete engine tear down to look for a speck of sand that fell into the dip stick which was then sucked up by the oil pump then properly and safely captured by the oil filter. Good lord man, learn what matters and what doesn't. You will sleep much better.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Alfa 159
You should be checking your oil level at the very least monthly....if you looked after your car as you should you would have noticed it missing months ago. Are you seriously suggesting that you don't check your oil between services!? Be thankful you even have a dipstick...it was an option on my 209 CLK !