Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking sound on start-up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02/ C230 Coupe
Smile Clicking sound on start-up

Just wondering if anyone would know. At start up there is a clicking sound, about 2-3 seconds apart and the sound stops after 8-9 clicks. The sound comes from center of consul behind the 2 center vents approximatley. I turned off the fan thinking it might be the ventalation system but it is still there. As I have said the sound goes away after 8 clicks. It almost sounds like it is trying to lock the doors but they work.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Your description matches that of broken actuator arms......

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...g-hissing.html
Old 07-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Almost a Member!

02/ C230 Coupe
Thanks for the Info. I did go to the dealer and 1 hour to diagnose, 5.9 hours to take the dash apart, plus parts, plus tax. I walked out and will live with the clicking noise. I talked to a mechanic and he said it is a common problem and when I checked out the parts dept, they have the parts in stock. Everything works except the lower air ducts and I don't drive in the winter. I don't know if the Stepper motor will stop but know that it is to big a job for my pocket book right now. I don't think it will affect anything else so untill it does, I wish I could disconnect that Stepper motor. I did try to take things apart but only managed to get the center stack off and the stepper motors are much deeper then that. I now know why they say 5.9 hours, " A Big Job"
Old 07-17-2009, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by tonyC230
...I don't think it will affect anything else so untill it does, I wish I could disconnect that Stepper motor. I did try to take things apart but only managed to get the center stack off and the stepper motors are much deeper then that....
I believe the link I gave you gives a step-by-step DIY. The only way to disconnect individual stepper motors is at the motor since they are all connected in parallel on the same ribbon cable. Give it a try....like anything else it's only hard the first time.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
Thanks for the Info. I did go to the dealer and 1 hour to diagnose, 5.9 hours to take the dash apart, plus parts, plus tax. I walked out and will live with the clicking noise. I talked to a mechanic and he said it is a common problem and when I checked out the parts dept, they have the parts in stock. Everything works except the lower air ducts and I don't drive in the winter. I don't know if the Stepper motor will stop but know that it is to big a job for my pocket book right now. I don't think it will affect anything else so untill it does, I wish I could disconnect that Stepper motor. I did try to take things apart but only managed to get the center stack off and the stepper motors are much deeper then that. I now know why they say 5.9 hours, " A Big Job"
Left/right footwell flaps actuator motor???
5.9 hours used to be a ok time (could get over 7 hours), but now warranty time on that is 1.5 hours. Most techs can get it done in under an hour.
It is somewhat difficult to replace the little arm that broke since it is right behind a supporting arm for the dash (5.9 hours includes removing this) but can be snaked out with out removing it (now that way MB says to do it).
Many replace the steppermotor, but it will "probably" be fine if you don't, if you replace the arm sooner than later.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by Gullwing
... Most techs can get it done in under an hour.
It is somewhat difficult to replace the little arm that broke since it is right behind a supporting arm for the dash (5.9 hours includes removing this) but can be snaked out with out removing it (now that way MB says to do it)...
Under an hour is good even with experience So why would they still charge almost 6 hours? I've done various arms and motors 4 times (don't ask) and never removed the support arm....just twisted/tweaked the plastic
Old 07-17-2009, 10:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09 E350 ,
warranty only pays around 3.0 hours for this job now ,they know the support dont need to come out ,the hardest part is removing the bracket housing that holds the radio and ac control ,find an indy shop to do it asap and keep the car running good and make it last ,
Old 07-18-2009, 02:35 AM

1987 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by tcesario
warranty only pays around 3.0 hours for this job now ,they know the support dont need to come out ,the hardest part is removing the bracket housing that holds the radio and ac control ,find an indy shop to do it asap and keep the car running good and make it last ,
What 3.0 hours! Man the last few I did I was only given I think 1.5 per the DTB, no way the dealer here would give us anything extra, hell they would not even give us everything they were supposed to give us (pretty sure they still billed Benz for it).

The plastic radio support is easy just pull hard, snap snap out it comes, goes in much easier then also
Old 07-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Almost a Member!

02/ C230 Coupe
Smile

Well. It is the right (passenger) side that is the problem. I took the panel under the glove box off and when looking into the air vent the flap closes then snaps open. The snapping is what makes that clicking sound. I tried foam to keep the flap open but it still tries to close so I tried to keep the flap closed but the clicking sound is still there but not as loud. I think the motor works so maybe it is just an arm but if it were broken then why does it close to only snap open and how can the flap close again. It does it 8-9 times before it stops. If the arm was broken then the flapper would not move at all, I would think??
Old 07-18-2009, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
.... If the arm was broken then the flapper would not move at all, I would think??
Correct, but it usually doesn't break all the way off. It cracks where it mounts to the motor shaft and then the shaft slips inside of it. If you replace it, replace both sides.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Almost a Member!

02/ C230 Coupe
Smile

I tried to get at the flapper motor but noway. I got the radio, center vent out and even got the glove box out but that panel under the steering wheel would not come out. I did get the left side just down enough to get the clip off but the right side would not come down. Some how it is attached to the center stack. I could not figure it out. I gave up and did I have trouble getting the glove box back in, wow. I am living with that lower flap making that clicking sound (only 8 clicks). I can feel the flap on the drivers side open then snap close. I did see the passenger side do it and did see the arm that attaches to the flapper and it is ok. I would think that the left arm is fine as well but they must both be attached in the middle somewere. I might give in next year for the big repair but to much for me right now and the car runs fine with everything working up top I don't need lower air. I store the car in the winter but need the upper vents for AC for the summer months.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
.... the right side would not come down. Some how it is attached to the center stack....
It's attached with screws. If you follow the DIY that's posted it will direct you to all the screws. If all the screws are removed you just give it a sharp tug down and it will release. You were almost there!!

... I did see the passenger side do it and did see the arm that attaches to the flapper and it is ok. I would think that the left arm is fine as well but they must both be attached in the middle somewere. ...
On your model there is one motor controlling both vents. The actuator arm breakage is sometimes hard to see. They crack across one side of the hole that the motor shaft mounts through. The clicking you hear is the hole expanding just enough to let the motor shaft slip inside and the flap snaps back to where it was.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:44 PM

1987 190E 2.3
To remove the center console, you need to remove two bolts under the cupholder/coin storage, maybe two more in the rear storage. Up front you need to remove two small covers which are over two lock connectors. T45? is used to turn connector 1/2? turn which frees it. Remove ash tray to gain access to the connectors.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Almost a Member!

02/ C230 Coupe
Smile

Thanks for the info. I did not take out the screws under the arm rest glove box. Just now thinking that is why I had trouble. The torx screw in the side of the ashtray does turn to remove the upper side and I now know that the side pieces need to come off as well along the arm rest. About the DIY instructions, I only saw pics not much in regards to wording as to how to take apart. For example, the emergency brake handle, I could not see how the handle could come off the lower shelf. I still want to try it myself but after the last time, I need a cooling off period. I can feel the air coming and stopping at startup and think that all I need to do is replace an arm and yes I think the one motor does do both lower flaps. Mercedes offers an arm kit and wonder what they have in the package?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:46 PM

1987 190E 2.3
Mercedes sells an arm kit, but all you need is the one arm, which you can get by itself.

Parking brake handle is simple to take apart. Just need to remove the cable from the handle. Get some slack in the cable and it comes out pretty easy.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
....I did not take out the screws under the arm rest glove box. ....
Slap, follow directions :-)
Old 07-22-2016, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mercedes c230
Here are two videos showing the stepper motor problem and how to fix it: