Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mbrace rant...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
'21 GLS450, '16 Metris Pass. Van; '14 E350 Coupe; '09 C300; '88 190E 2.3
Mbrace rant...

Mbrace = Epic Fail!

OK, I’m a bit pissed and deeply disappointed with this system. Vehicle is a CPO 2014 C350 coupe bought a week ago. I decided to try the Mbrace telematics system and all I can say is it is probably one of the worst automotive telematics systems out there.

I tried Mbrace several years ago, it was pretty bad then, but was hoping that there may have been some improvements in it over the last 3 years.

Some of this is probably the region I live in (somewhat rural) so spotty cell coverage is expected. But a LOT of this under-performance I have to place squarely in the lap of MB and their technology partners Honeywell and Verizon.

The first sign of trouble was trying to get the “send2benz” browser widget to work on a desktop computer. Even though the MB site states IE and Firefox as supported browsers, it is incorrect. The widget will not work with Firefox versions beyond 3.0. Currently Firefox is running 30.0 This has been the state of affairs with regards to Firefox for over 3 years! IE is no better, at least the widget loads and appears to be present and ready, but has no functionality on the new version of Google Maps and is only retrograde compatible with the “old” Google Maps. Some of this may be compounded by newer Windows versions as it also doesn’t seem to have been upgraded for any system higher than Windows 7.X. Installing it in 8.1 or 10 causes numerous errors, freezes, slow running, etc. and has to be removed to restore browser functionality. So… highlight any address in Google Maps and send to car? FAIL.

So I go to the “send2benz” website to look up an address. I’ll keep it simple and use THE ONE THEY PROVIDE AS AN EXAMPLE. “Send2benz” says it can’t find it! I try my home address. Can’t find it. Finally I try the nearest dealer. It finds an address…. But it is the OLD address for the dealer! They moved to a different location across town over 4 years ago! So much for current data…

WTF… I try and send the address to the car. Says it was successful. Never arrives.

OK, so I’ll just use the Android app installed on my phone. Look up a friends address and send it. Says it makes it. Never shows up in the Command system. Try again. And again. And again. Basically 1 in 17 attempts successfully makes it into the nav system. BUT there is a catach…. The address can’t be renamed without re-entering in its entirety! The street number line is appearing on a “first name” line with city in the “last name” line. Hmmmm. Maybe it’s the way I entered it in my phone contact list… try again with another address. Same results (finally took after around 12 tries) but now the street number and zip codes are corrupted or changed! Crap. This sucks. Useless.

I turn off the car and go in. WTH, I’ll send a lock command and see if that works. Send it. Says it’s sent. 40 minutes later….. it finally locks! 40 FREEKING MINUTES LATER. How about the find my car feature? After it sitting and spinning on my phone for probably 5-10 minutes (timing out most of the time) it finally did find it 1 out of 5 times. Oh, and there is no remote start that was hyped up so much as a “new feature” by the dealership.

Does the internet work? After messing with it for 8 hours it couldn’t get a connection. I’m line of sight to a Verizon cell tower (300 yards away). No joy. Drive across town with the screen trying to get a data connection. Finally – it connects with something, but the connection is so slow with constant buffering that it is useless. This goes on for an hour. All the while I have excellent cell phone and data to the Sprint and Verizon phones on board. It (Mbrace) never again successfully connects with the outside world for the rest of the day. Big fail.

Seems Verizon is phasing out 2 & 3g in favor of 4g LTE in the area and/or severely throttling data on those systems. Guess what… Mbrace is 3g (at best, and closer to dial-up when and if it connects). The connection is going extinct. Mbrace can’t be updated. Verizon looks like they severely throttle data. Big fail.

Out of frustration, I punch the “I” button. Lots of Defcon 5 audio alarms and dramatics. Never connects (on board cell phones have great connection, Mbrace illuminated at start and presumably functioning normally). Never connects with a person. WTF! So I punch the “Red Button”… more beeps and audio drama. No one comes on. Leave all this going on in my driveway for 40 minutes. Nothing. Beginning to wonder if it will ever reset itself? Go inside and call Mbrace. Get the “save the sale” pitch. Explain all of the above AND that the red button was punched WHILE I WAS ON THE PHONE WITH THEM and no connection or response. Never tested the wrench button, but don’t think it would work any better.
Really, this is an embarrassment for MB. I am sure that some users, maybe in larger cities, have an adequately functioning system. But the deficiencies in Mbrace are unacceptable given that systems fitted to cheaper cars works! A Chevy Spark’s telematics system? Works every time. Audi? They tether to one’s phone and works fast and seamlessly. MB in Europe? They seem to use tethering as well instead of this centralized Mbrace fiasco.

And to add insult to injury, MB wants to CHARGE subscription fees for the pleasure of using Mbrace and all its “functionality!” It ain’t cheap, either. If it’s this bad on a trial, I have absolutely NO expectation that it will work once I am paying for it.

As a software package, it’s a joke. As a telematics package…. It doesn’t work anywhere near as well as ANY OTHER MANUFACTURER. As for what it says about MB…… I’ll let you draw your own conclusions.

I love the car. But this system is so bad I can't believe that MB hasn't taken improving it more seriously over the last 3-4 years.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:26 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
mb, saab, acura, dodge
Take it back
Old 07-04-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
'21 GLS450, '16 Metris Pass. Van; '14 E350 Coupe; '09 C300; '88 190E 2.3
Yep. It's going back. I'll post a follow up - good or bad - as a resolution is found. I really want to give it a fair shake, but we are really getting off to a poor start!
Old 07-04-2016, 09:09 PM

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts
2012 E350
I have a 2012 E350. Never had a similar system in any car before, so I guess I have no expectations. None the less, the handful of times I've used Mbrace, I was connected quickly and my questions were answered promptly.

I have used the remote lock function- always worked within a minute of sending a command.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
Audi has a much nicer online system and it seems to get upgrades too. The dealer upgraded a friends A6 to LTE for free. They can live stream google maps.

I'd like to see the choice of data carrier and software to be in the owner's hands.

Mbrace and Comand are just too dated. Even with a fast data connection the system itself is just clunky.

Last edited by michail71; 07-07-2016 at 02:10 PM.