Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 04:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
06 S65
Key fob issues

My car said I had a low battery in my key fob. So I went to the cabinet and pulled out a new battery. Of course this was after watching a YouTube video or two on how to change the battery. The key came open simple enough and I changed the battery. Now it doesn't work. It doesn't lock/unlock or anything. The dash displays, "key not recognized". One of the differences from all the YouTube videos I'm seeing, is that my fob only accepts one battery. Prior to changing the battery, all of the buttons on the fob worked and the keyless go worked. I can't imagine that the internals of the key fob happened to fail simultaneously at the same time I change the battery. Any ideas?

So when this happened, I went and got my other key fob out and tested it. It will only lock/unlock and such, it's keyless go feature doesn't work either. I get the same "key not recognized" message when I try the keyless go.

So now I have one fob that will only start the car if inserted and the other key that will only lock/unlock doors and will only start the car if inserted.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Key fob issues-img_20161015_131526.jpg   Key fob issues-img_20161015_131536.jpg  
Old 10-15-2016, 05:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
06 S65
I fixed it. It turns out I has two packs of bad batteries. I bought a 3rd pack from a different store and a different brand and now it works fine. I have a new question now. Are both of my fobs supposed to activate the Keyless go? I've never really used the second fob and after testing it today, it only locks/unlocks and starts the car if inserted.
The following users liked this post:
mzjx (07-02-2024)
Old 10-17-2016, 08:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
mb, saab, acura, dodge
I bilieve you're correct about 2 different fobs