Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes V8 M113 cam and crank scope example/log?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG M113k swap
Mercedes V8 M113 cam and crank scope example/log?

Does anybody have a log of oscilloscope of what the cam and crank sensor signals on an M113/M113k look like?

Based on part numbers of cam sprocket, flexplate, and cam/crank sensors, etc. I would guess that a scope off of any of the supercharged or non-supercharged 4.3, 5.0, or 5.4/5.5L M113 derivative V8s of the era would work - CLK 430, CLK 500, G55 AMG, ML430, ML500, E500, E55 AMG, S430 (pre -2000-2007ish and on depending on the model).

I would think that Mercedes would have this information documented somewhere even for diagnosing a faulty sensor... but the questionable service manual that I have only seems to have general function of the sensors and not diagnosing info (the google translated version of that document below).

I have similar thread going in R230 section, but figure I might as well try this section for hopefully some more technician types in here. Basically I need to obtain this information for aftermarket ECU company can build the proper firmware for me as I have various customizing to do before I can even crank the engine that has been swapped into an older C class

Any help or advice is appreciated!

-----

L5 Crankshaft Position Transmitter
C Slot (2 missing teeth)
D Incremental pinion teeth (magnetic conductor)
The position of the crankshaft and the engine speed are entered without contact. The distance between the transmitter
The crankshaft position (L5) and the teeth (d) of the clutch disc (incremental wheel) is given by
Mounting position (approx. 0.8 mm).
When the crankshaft rotates, the teeth of the drive disk produce an AC voltage (induced)
In the crankshaft position transmitter

The front edge of a tooth (a) produces a positive voltage pulse and
The back edge of a tooth (b) a negative voltage pulse. The
Distance between the positive voltage peak and the negative voltage peak
Corresponds to the length of a tooth.
The slot (c) of the 2 missing teeth causes no tension
Produced in the crankshaft position transmitter. This niche
Serves to detect the TDC on cylinders 1 and 6.

A Front edge of a tooth
B Back edge of tooth
C Slot (2 missing teeth)
H Crankshaft position transmitter signal
L Shielded signal line
S Inductive coil
V Tension
-----

B6 / 1 Camshaft Hall Sensor
A Segment on camshaft sprocket
B PMH of ignition to cylinder 1
C Schematic representation of the Hall transmitter
D Rectangular Signal Transmitter Hall
The signal line of the cam shaft transmitter has a signal of
Voltage of approx. 12 V ("high"). When the segment of the
Cams passes in front of the cam shaft transmitter, the signal
Changes abruptly to 0 V ("low").
This signal "0 V" is used to recognize the ignition PMH at cylinder 1 (b)

In the absence of the signal from the cam shaft transmitter, the calculator ME determines the ignition PMH of the cylinder 1 (N3 / 10) arbitrarily.
The motor starts approx. 1 s later and the content of polluting gases is not optimal.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
M113's dont have anything special in regards to cam and crank signals. I dont have an exact scope pattern but I've seen it enough to know it looks like the one in this link (i know it's a completely different vehicle).https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&r...81687050237550

Any aftermarket ECU should be able to use the factory sensor without any special modifications. The cam sensor is just to identify TDC for cyl 1 as opposed to TDC for cyl 1 or cyl 6.

If you need the exact pattern I'll try find it but basically crank is inductive with a tooth missing (A/C voltage) and the cam is a hall sensor (on/off).
Old 12-13-2016, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG M113k swap
Thanks for the reply back.

Yeah, unfortunately, I could use the exact pattern for the M113 as its for setting up triggers in an aftermarket ECU. If you could find the exact pattern for any of those variants, it would definitely help.

I did find one for an older E320, but I think it's too old.. (like a 95 or something). They don't have same part numbers on flexplate/etc. , so don't think it would work. Worst case, I'll wait until I can crank the engine over to get the info. Was hoping to do some more on ECU over Christmas, but probably going to have to wait until new year.

Mercedes V8 M113 cam and crank scope example/log?-2013-04-23_042148_121212_zpsjpcbihmz.jpg
Old 12-16-2016, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
U may find it in Das SIM or the HMS990 database