Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V12 engines

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E350 blutec
V12 engines

Hello and how are you all. New to the site, I drive an E350 Bluetec sedan. Nice car, very pleased with it.
So here is my question, has anyone ever modified a 6.0 liter V12 (gas) street engine for marine (boat) use? Just wondering, but if I had a choice between a v8 at lets say, 5.5 or 5.7 liters displacement, and a 6 liter V12, I would really lean towards the V12.
The 12 is a 60degree engine so that should make it a bit narrower to fit into a hull. 12 cylinders are smoother running, and with a boat , the engine is under a constant load. 4 extra cylinders combusting I would think would strain the engine less.
Does MB have a marine line?
Old 04-20-2017, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Not that I've ever seen, but it does make an interesting point. A V12 with its inherent smooth design would be fantastic in marine use, but the overall size/weight/complexity/cost is probably the reason you don't see them in gas boats. There are a ton of large diesel offerings in the v12 configuration.

I don't see why you couldn't use one, would need a stand alone engine controller unless you could find someone to program the factory M/E to run it without all the drive authorization systems in place, speedriven did put one into an e55 I believe so they might be a good place to ask.

The v12 has an enormous cooling system compared to the v8 in the cars, it might be something that would matter on the boat, although with a properly sized heat exchanger it would work just fine.