Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S 550 Battery Charger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S550, 2015 GL 550
S 550 Battery Charger

I have a 2015 S550 with ~13000 miles and recently purchased a CTEK MUS 4.3 battery charger. Since I do not drive the car very much I want to put the car on a battery tender in hopes of prolonging its life. The owners manual wants you to buy a Mercedes charger and list dire consequences to the battery or the car's electronics if not charged properly. The charger has modes for lead acid or AGM. My assumption is that the battery is AGM so can anyone confirm that? Also, does anyone have experience with this or other chargers/tenders.

Thanks,

Richard
Old 08-20-2017, 11:32 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
E550
To me, whether its a Mercedes charger or a good quality aftermarket charger. its the same thing.

When I checked my battery, I saw that it was an AGM battery but it wasn't the original Mercedes battery in there. (I don't think Mercedes puts in Interstate batteries in their cars. )

Either way, I'd pick up a good quality aftermarket charger and hook it up but if you're worried, just purchase the Mercedes charger.

My friend who owns a Ferrari was struggling with the same issue as you. He played it safe and picked up the Ferrari charger.
The following users liked this post:
rbuck (08-21-2017)