Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ML350 - car locked with baby and key inside. How is this possible

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml350
Exclamation ML350 - car locked with baby and key inside. How is this possible

Yesterday I put my baby in the car seat, tossed the key into the front seat and shut her door to get in the driver's seat. The exact same thing I have done for the 3 years I have owned the ML350. all doors locked and it resulted in a hysterical baby, hysterical mama, 2 fire engines, a policeman, and an ambulance at the scene. All is ok now. I had literally Just picked up the car from being serviced at Mercedes. So I took it back to them, they kept it for a day and then reported it has no problems and "I must have hit the lock button before shutting the door." I am furious because I know with 100% certainty I did not lock the Car and it is written in the police report that the key and locks were not functioning properly. In the police report!
Does anyone have any experience with this? I am not sure what to do from here but do know I want to get rid of the car. I had just replaced the battery so it's not that. Thanks,
One scared mama
Old 08-17-2017, 03:52 PM

98 TC
You say the police report states that the key and locks were not functioning properly? Can you be more specific?

You need to keep an open mind to ALL the possibilities.
Did this only happen one time?
If it continues to happen with no evident cause then you know it is the vehicles fault.
To state the obvious; don't leave your only key in the car with all the windows up and close the doors.

I have a grandson who went through a spell of hitting the door lock button every time he was put in his seat and the door was shut. He just loves to push buttons.

I will say that I have a lot of experience with this very common vehicle and have never had a customer with this complaint. So I would say that it is not a common issue.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:17 PM

ml350
The police report will state that the firemen and the policeman agreed that the locking system and key were faulty. I don't know specifically what the cop wrote, it wont be Available to pick up for 7 days. The baby definitely didn't hit the lock button...
I only have one key so i am afraid to try it again. I am going to sell the car...the only question being if i get a new GLS450 or go to Tesla.