Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valente 2013 116cdi intermittent start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valente 116cdi
Valente 2013 116cdi intermittent start

Hi, I have had my wagon since December 2013, and in that time it's been in and out the dealership with electric door issues and ignition problems. After over 3 years, the doors are now apparently fixed as of last week, turned out to be loose wiring. However the ignition problem is over 12 months old and ongoing, to the point they tell me the following:
i need to wait until it doesn't start and needs to be towed.
I am not cycling the keys correctly. (Hmm I know how to start a car). That was a huge insult.
Theres nothing wrong with it.
They just don't know.
they have replaced a key and cleared codes (car faulted in the workshop). A few hours after it faulted again. Nov 2016
Car went back in. Found internal fault in EIS, car had fault codes. car faulted again. Dec 2016
Car went back in. Found internal fault with steering lock and fault codes. Feb 2017.
Car has since faulted again and agin and continually been going back since feb for doors and ignition.
So, yesterday their remedyto fault the ignition and fix it, despite assuring me a Melbourne top technician was giving them guidance on what to test, was to hook it up to the matchine to look for fault codes (none showed), then walk past every half hour and try the ignition. This was what they wrote on the report. No other investigation, dismantling parts etc was done. Unfortunately the car didn't fault in that time.
They did have another idea last week they use my dash cam to point towards the ignition to record it not starting. Prob there is the only point to hook it to is the window rendering my window useless and restrictions on opening the door, plus wires hanging across to the charging point and booting up Time of camera, by which time keys are in and car has already faulted. Plus my camera is for my safety use, not their hair brain idea.
I must add I don't get in the car to start it, I wait outside, so I don't touch anything to lock steering etc. it refuses to start first time, so I return the keys to the start position or remove them and second time it starts, every time. Up To now. All the electrics light up, radio, lights etc come on, all dash lights, just ignition dowesnt fire.
Im at my wits end and they are now wiping their hands of the issue until it breaks down.
They clearly have shown incompetence as they couldn't locate 2 loose wires in the door, a Melbourne techie had to come to sort that out.
Im thinking my next step is the car industry ombudsman. I've wasted so much time and stress over this car. I suggested a new ignition, was told no. They even said it could be an alternator or starter motor prob but they are unwilling to look at that for the cost.
I asked about loose wires in the ignition, shorting at start up and was told there are no wires in an ignition that could short.
It's clear there is a problem as I've gone back again and again and 3 times they gave different excuses and fixes, but none have worked.

Last edited by Jayne mc; 12-10-2017 at 02:27 PM. Reason: typo