Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird situation with a car buyer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 12:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99 E55, 00 S500, 01 CLK55, 01 E320, 04 E320
Exclamation Weird situation with a car buyer

Hi, benz family

Strange story happened to me today. Wanted to ask if you guys have some ideas.

My friend owns a small used car dealership. He called me and said that he has two similar BMWs 08 328 and buyer wants to meet at his mechanic to check the cars, and he asked me to drive second BMW.

We got to the place and his mechanic pulled out some obd computer and from the start sounded suspicious. Saying stuff like: Look I am not doing anything, look I am not touching anything, Look I will plug it right now. Sounded like a magician showing you his props. And as soon as he connected his computer, instrument cluster went off and obd port stopped working. We were confused and he said he will try on a second car and as he connected to a second BMW same thing happened. And he started saying that our cars are bad and we did something to our cars, and obd ports are not working and we rigged the smog test. But everything was working fine. We started to be conspicuous because its too much to be a coincidence. He said he will show us on his own BMW that his equipment is working, but he refused to plug to the same ports as on our cars and when we pointed it out he said this car is his project car and it wont work that way and quickly removed it. Buyer was standing there and watching us while mechanic was blaming us saying that we did something to rig the cars. We did not get what was going on and decided to leave. We took our cars to our mechanic to see what happened and both cars had blown instrument cluster and obd fuses.

I am still confused what happened why would he do it. He was acting like he knew what he was doing and he knew what will happen.

Any ideas what was it?
Old 01-21-2018, 03:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'04 E500 4matic, '06 SL55, Cadillacs: '59 Convertible, '70 ElDorado, 3 '95 Buick Roadmaster Wagons
my guess is this "guy" had his OBD tester screw up HIS car and wanted to test it on some other car..
it sure smells..