Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W209: Non-responsive climate control, fan comes on when car turns off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 12:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG
W209: Non-responsive climate control, fan comes on when car turns off

Hi All,

The other day I was running around with the A/C on “0” listening for a sound on the outside of the car - I didn’t turn it back on that night, and when I came back the next morning, the A/C fan would start (climate control non-responsive to change - all lights, etc, work, but does not control the on/off of the fan) and stop within 10 seconds, then “act” like it was going to turn on again.

I’ve disconnected the battery, tried to reset the system by holding the defogger/recirc buttons (LEDs kept flashing), and going into diagnostics mode on the control unit itself - I can go grab the codes if needed, but nothing seemed “off”.

Anyone had a similar problem? I’ve been looking for 2 days and haven’t found a situation quite like mine. I heard these cars let you know when they need Freon, but haven’t done this yet.

Thanks!

Adding links to the diagnostic panel I’m talking about and linking to another current thread with what seems like the same issue in the CLK portion of the forums:

https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...e-control.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...rol-issue.html

Last edited by 04CLK5.4; 02-23-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:38 PM

2004 CLK55 AMG
Wanted to bump this - car refrigerant systems are cold to the touch - fan blower not responding to the climate control module.

The previous owner I found out had a problem with the fan relay, which was replaced, but I found while I was under the passenger side dashboard that the blower was dangling by two screws, so I unplugged and remounted the fan hoping it would help something!

Wanted to mention that sometimes the car comes on and I have control over the system for 5-10 seconds and can control the air normally but then it goes back to intermittent on/off - intervals of approx 3 seconds, hot air through the windshield vents, sometimes .5 seconds.

Any ideas?
Old 03-05-2018, 11:48 PM

2004 CLK55 AMG
ASLO: A new development

Today, I was driving over to the parts store to pick up some Freon, and when I had turned the car on, the climate control said “MAX AUTO COOL” or “AUTO MAX COOL” (I don’t remember specifically at the moment) and the engine fan was on - sounded like a jet engine. I was able to disengage it by turning down the “fan” on my climate control.

At first I thought it was because the car was hot, but while troubleshooting later in the night, it was only at 2-3 bars when I started it and the engine fan came on again.

I’m thinking of unplugging the fuse to the climate control/blower motor fuse to see if it resets anything next.

Looking for anyone whos had had similar problems - I know that there have been people, but maybe I’m not entering the right strings for search queries.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes E300 W212
in hope I would get a response. Mercedes E300 W212, 2010, climate control stopped responding to any button pushes. as mentioned above the AC radiator fan blows full speed and does not stop. checked fuses all working. removed the battery terminal for 3 to 4 minutes and then connected back. the climate control is back on. works for 4 to 5 days, same thing happens again. remove battery again connect and climate control back on. any idea what is happening. all fuses must be working cuz it works after the battery ritual. could it be climate control going bad or would it be voltage issue. the battery was changed around 3 months ago and this issues appeared last week only.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
A bit update: In short, for my W204 (2012 GLK 350), replaced AC climate control unit and it worked for a minute without blowing the No. 12 fuse, then I shut the car door and fuse blew again and AC unit became dead again.

Based on this observation and the fact that event was triggered by an impact from door shut, I suspect AC unit is not the cause in my case. I then found the wiring diagram for W204's climate control unit and used the iCarsoft diagnostic tool, and the tool gave an error related to LIN bus malfunction, there is a short to the ground. Finding a short to ground is a whole new game and I am in the middle of learning it. Will update when I have made progress.

One thing that appears to be certain is that, engine radiation cooling fan is constantly on because the ECM requested it to do so. At least one of the reasons that ECM makes such a 100%-ON request is AC climate control unit is not functioning; however other reasons may exist.

Last edited by MBowner2019; 10-26-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
GLS450
I have a related problem but don’t see it reported above. My screen says “Climate Confrol Off” - I went to the menu and checked and unchecked the ON box but it makes no difference. The system itself works fine - the AC and fan adjust with the usual buttons but The display won’t show the temp settings, fan speed etc - it just says Climate Control Off.

any suggestion??

Addendum: The problem apparently self-corrected after I turned the car off for a few minutes. Just another software glitch I guess.

Last edited by Boraxo; 01-20-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E class 2010
Smile Radiator Fan max speed & no climate controll light on

Hi Friends, I am quite new to this though I drive an E class since 2010. Today I took the car and it started normally, but after a minute or so, I noticed a huge sound from engine bay. I stopped the car and checked. The radiator fan was running in very high speed. Then I noticed that None of the climate control switches are functioning and no red lights on. Rest all seems working normal. I checked the fuse #12 and it is good. I even disconnected battery negative terminal for some time and still no luck. Would like to know your expert advice pls.

Thanks
Lalmon
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (09-24-2020)