Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine light is on / engine codes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280
Engine light is on / engine codes

The car is running fine, but the check engine light is on.

I don't have the codes #s right in front of me (I'll get them later and post them). I've got a "fuel trim" code and a "fuel level" code...

Someone mentioned MAS before, but the fuel level is a new one to me...

Anyone else have similar problems ?
Old 05-17-2004, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
The ONLY way to find and fix the problem is to have your dealer pull the codes from the computer. Even if you have it done for free at say an Auto Zone you will not have enough detail to find out which component to change. You can guess all night but you can't be certain unless the codes are pulled
Old 05-19-2004, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
The fuel trim code could definitely be the mass air flow sensor but it is not likely...... we don't see that many go bad. What engine is it? 104 or 112? Depending on which one it is and the mileage I may have a few cheap ideas.....

Most of the time, those codes appear due to unmetered air coming into the engine, not because of a faulty sensor. Or poor injector spray pattern or a couple fuel related items. 90% of the time on the 112, replacing the intake inlet seals and throttle actuator o-ring will cure the problem but you need an SDS computer to reset the fuel adaptations.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Originally posted by [MB]CRS
The fuel trim code could definitely be the mass air flow sensor but it is not likely...... we don't see that many go bad.
Really? We see mass airflow sensors drop like flies here. I think the codes are two seperate problems. The fuel trim code is for a bad mass-airflow sensor, the fuel level sensor code is bad fuel level senders.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:08 PM

LS7 powered Corvette
I don't know man. With all the BS you have to go through now with EDAC, nobody really does them.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:13 PM

LS7 powered Corvette
I don't know man. With all the BS you have to go through now with EDAC, nobody really does them. And if you noticed, they are starting to tighten up on them. The SDS no longer gives you a numerical value for kg/h flow measured by the sensor, only the signal voltage to the control unit.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Originally posted by [MB]CRS
I don't know man. With all the BS you have to go through now with EDAC, nobody really does them.
It is a royal pain now, but if they made the MAF sensors so they weren't such pieces of crap, we wouldn't have this problem to begin with, you know? How many hours do you guys get for the intake seals and throttle actuator O-ring? I might have to start doing those instead if they pay well.