Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 260E M103 Starts Then Stalls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 260E 2002 S500
1988 260E M103 Starts Then Stalls

I have a 1988 260E that started to have starting problems back in December, requiring a tow truck to get home several times. Eventually it would crank, but not start at all. I reviewed Kent Bergma’s Mercedes Source MB tech videos on YouTube and watched his spins but won’t start video series. I tested and replaced a wide range of items/issues that can cause hard starting, as reviewed in the video series. I replaced the fuel injectors, fuel pumps, fuel filter, in tank fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump relay.

I replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, high tension lead, distributor cap and rotor. I replaced all the fuses and cleaned all the oxidation off of the fuse terminals. I cleaned all the ground connections. I learned that a battery can appear to be ok, and cranks the motor, but can fail to provide sufficient cranking amps to properly power . Using the Solar tester recommended by Kent, I tested my battery and the battery failed, so I replaced it. I also discovered my idle control valve was not functioning, so I replaced it.

So, after all this work the car starts right up, and runs smoothly for exactly 12 seconds, then quits. When it quits, it just cuts out like the key was turned off. I have to wait about 10 or 15 minutes before it will start again. Each time it starts, it runs for exactly 12 seconds, then quits. There must be something that occurs with the fuel injection system, or the electronics about 12 seconds after starting, that causes it to stall.

Does anybody have any ideas? I am wondering if the problem is my ECU or perhaps the ignition coil. I am running out of ideas....

Thanks,

Reg

Last edited by 55chevreg; 03-25-2018 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Need to correct some errors