Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adblue pump failure, heater failure P20E8 code question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 250
Adblue pump failure, heater failure P20E8 code question

I have a GLK250 and I have the CEL with code P20E8.
I've seen a number of people with this issue and I'm wondering what happens if you ignore it? The vehicle seems to run fine with the CEL.
The issue seems to be low pressure from the DEF pump. If you ignore it does it just mean the exhaust isn't meeting emission standards (we don't have tests here in Canada) or will it lead to bigger issues?
I will be taking it in for service in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if it could wait until then.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:08 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,056 Likes on 977 Posts
1999 E300TD
If you live in a state with air quality tests, the vehicle will never pass the test---------lack of attention and i the long run will ruin the emission system on the car---then you will be back whining about what to do and the crappy car I own bla bla
Old 04-27-2018, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 250
When I clear the code it disappears for a day or so and then comes back.
I'm wondering if anyone has a technical understanding of the system and what the implications are. The Adblue system receives signals from the computer based on sensor inputs I assume. Based on those readings it injects a measured amount of Adblue into the exhaust system. They have a sensor that measures pressure and throws a code if the pressure is too low. That is how I think it works in simple terms. Given that the ECL disappears for a period of time when it is cleared it seems to meet the pressure threshold some times but also is below some times. That suggests to me that either the sensor is faulty or the pump is inconsistent rather than an actual pump failure. Anyone out there that understands how the system works that can critique my thinking?