Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble identifying engine type and size.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Trouble identifying engine type and size.

I have a 2007 GL450. The VIN is 4JGDF71EX7A185071. I bought 3rd hand. So I don't have all the paperwork.
I am getting conflicting information on whether it is a 4.6L or 4.7L. My dealer is telling me it's 4.6*, but the VIN search I did is coming up 4.7. (*dealer is only telling me that after he looked on his system when I gave him the VIN on the phone. I was on hold for a long time, so I'm not confident.)

Is there a place I can look find this out for sure? (can some of you run it in your systems so I can get a consensus?)
The VIN decoder here (and in other places) gives me "We could not find any information for VIN 4JGDF71EX7A185071"
I need to replace the valve seals and the there are two different kits depending on what engine.

I took off the covers and found this Motor number -0077941. Can anyone tell me what engine it is from that? Thanks.

Thanks a ton.

BTW, does anyone have a recommendation for a place to buy the valve stem seals? I plan on doing a whole youtube on the replacement, so I want to make sure I have the right ones when I tear into the motor.
Thanks again.

Last edited by inchman; 05-08-2018 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Add motor number