Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

window switches intermittant or don't work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2004 | 09:56 AM

w210 e55
window switches intermittant or don't work

My 03 ml350 and 99 e55 are having switch issues.
I am experiencing a intermittant window switch issue. At times, the switchs are inoperative just for the rear windows. And, at times the switches will work but only if partially depressed. If pressed down all the way (auto) the window will stop.

In the past, something similar happened on my e series when the battery blew. The windows would only work using a partial push. If you tried the full press, the switches would not work. The system reset or something within a week by itself.

Is there a reset for this issue?

Coincidentally, I had my rear window regulator replaced yesterday on the e and sure enough that window switch will not work in auto mode.

How do you reset this window switch issue??
Old 05-26-2004 | 01:38 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 E320 Nice & Stock
On an e-class, the switches have 2 positions, half way down and all the way down. All the way down tells the windows to roll all the way down. Press the switch half way and you control the window position. You can feel the second indent when you push the switch.

If the E-class loses power, the car doesn't know where the window is.

To RESET it. Press the switch half-way and lower the window all the way down. Then press UP half-way and raise the window all the way up. Repeat the process. The car should now know where the window is. Now press it all the way and see if it goes all the way down.

If it worked, do it for all your windows.

The Power Steering Sensor works the same way. Turn the wheel all the way to the Left. Then to the Right. Repeat. It's now Reset.
Old 05-26-2004 | 01:46 PM

LS7 powered Corvette
It is only neccesary to depress the switch to move the window up. Once the window stops motion, you may here the click inside the door. It only takes a second.

The steering sensor is for the traction system. It measures the angle and rate of turn, or the direction in which the driver is attempting to go(while car may be completely sideways or backwards).