Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 e55 bottom end torque issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 e63 - blk / blk; 2005 e55 - b silver / blk; 2000 e55 b silver / blk
Question 00 e55 bottom end torque issue

Looking for some expert opinions. I have an 00 e55. About a year ago, the car was behaving odd -- overly sensitive tip-in from start; too early 1 to 2 shift under low/med acceleration; not enough torque to spin the back tires from a dead stop (w/ ESP off).

Took it to the dealer who found no codes but replicated the symptoms. They eventually replaced the air flow meter which fixed the problems.

One year later, I have the same issues but the dealer insists "everything is in tolerance and there are no codes". They also insist that an e55 should not be able to spin the tires from a dead stop!! I asked them why it used to melt the tires down w/ the ESP off. They said "it could be that the tires are now more broken in".

Looking for a sanity check and some suggestions. Shouldn't an e55 have enough torque to break the tires loose? Any clues how to advise MB on additional things to look at? Additionally, I am on my third air flow meter. Any ideas what the cause might be??

Last edited by motorbobb; 05-30-2004 at 02:33 PM.