Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Explain to me Specification 224.1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLC300
Explain to me Specification 224.1

I'm going to be buying a new vehicle soon and I am trying to familiarize myself with how to maintain it, but I'm confused by the oil specs. The car is (will be--they haven't built it yet) an SLC300 Roadster, with the 2.0L inline 4.

I don't know how to use Specification 224.1, (Viscosity classes of engine oils (car engines)) because the operator's manual doesn't list a recommended viscosity and because it doesn't identify what model of engine. (Only the 2018 version of the manual is available; the 2019 version isn't yet online.)

I suspect that Multigrade engine oils (Specification 229.5) applies, but without knowing the engine designation, I can't determine which, if any, restrictions apply, and so I can't pick the right viscosity. e.g. 0w-40 or 5w-40 or other.

My questions:

1) What is the engine model in this car and where would I find that?
2) What is the viscosity rating of the factory fill?
3) And why wouldn't I use the same viscosity oil when I do my first oil change?
4) Finally, is the factory fill a 10K mile oil, or should I change earlier?

I'll do my own oil service. The car will live and drive in Southern California, where it will rarely see a freezing temp, but which might drive in the desert hinterlands where the temps could reach 35-40°C.

What else should I know about oiling it? Thanks for your help and indulgence; this is my first Mercedes and I'm still trying to learn how to learn about it.

Last edited by Gatto Nero; 10-31-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Welcome:

1) 224.1 denotes appropriate oil viscosities for the intended ambient temperature ranges in which you will operate the vehicle.

2) The engine will be the multi award winning M274 possibly to be replaced by an M260 at some stage (you can Google for stories)
3) The break in oil is a 0W-30
4) Do not change the break in oil early for the reasons I stated in the thread in your PM. You could use the same viscosity range for the rest of the life of the car but to 229.5 spec. Your proposed 5W-40 for your ambient conditions is eminently suitable.
5) Do not change the break in oil early. https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post6276124
Old 11-01-2018, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLC300
Thanks very much.

One thing I see in many, many videos online about oil changes is that 0w-40 seems to be the preferred viscosity used. But I think that those are taking into account much colder weather than a vehicle would experience in temperate southern California. So, when the time comes, I'm going with 5w, and I thank you for your endorsement of that.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
0W-40 became popular as a safe "world oil" that could be used from the arctic to the middle of the Sahara Desert. 5W-40 for your ambients is perfect!