Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batteries... MB only or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 07:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm here with my 2003 SL55 AMG, the latest edition to the fleet
Batteries... MB only or aftermarket?

Can anyone offer a compelling reason to purchase the OEM starter battery and the consumer electronics battery? Or rather a compelling reason why I should not buy aftermarket batteries for the car? I just bought a SL55 and the batteries are spent. Won't hold full charges anymore.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S450-4matic
Aftermarket only, MB Battery, NOT

I have a 2019 E300 and the battery in this car is beyond awful, it sucks out loud!
If you want to get yourself a top quality battery, see if Odyssey makes a battery to fit your car. They’re AGM batteries, made in the USA from virgin lead not cheap recycled lead from China. The stock batteries that come with MB’s are the Varda brand and they are the absolute bottom of the barrel, if you get 3 years out of one of their batteries consider that a miracle! Good luck!
Old 12-15-2018, 03:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 730 Likes on 545 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Originally Posted by Bdubblu
Can anyone offer a compelling reason to purchase the OEM starter battery and the consumer electronics battery? Or rather a compelling reason why I should not buy aftermarket batteries for the car? I just bought a SL55 and the batteries are spent. Won't hold full charges anymore.
go to local auto parts store and buy whatever they have that fits... ask for platinum version which is normally their AGM battery.

ANy battery that lasts 5 years today is a good one and about industry average...
to compare batteries:
Divide price by free replacement warranty in years (not total warranty as the end is prorated) and the one with lower price per year is good value.

remember only 2 or 3 battery manufacturers left in world and they make them for everyone...
Johnson controls is the big boy no the block
Old 05-15-2019, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,675 Likes on 2,443 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
Wink the battery in this car is beyond awful... it sucks out loud!

I feel your pain, welcome! Your quote speaks volume.

As far as E-Class battery issues, can you share what's been your experience with your new 2019 E-Class ?
- warning messages: "System Inoperative",
- moody KeylessG, etc...
- any check-engine-light yet ?

Try using the secret "Workshop Menu" to see if your battery gets abused on regular basis (all VIN's are plagued differently)

I think my Varta OEM battery is actually quite good to not give up the ghost quicker.

Knowing these cars can die at freeway speed, I always drive with the battery voltage on my display - (Query the numerous NHTSA reports out of curiosity !!)

Originally Posted by riamga

I have a 2019 E300 and the battery in this car is beyond awful, it sucks out loud!
If you want to get yourself a top quality battery, see if Odyssey makes a battery to fit your car. They’re AGM batteries, made in the USA from virgin lead not cheap recycled lead from China. The stock batteries that come with MB’s are the Varda brand and they are the absolute bottom of the barrel, if you get 3 years out of one of their batteries consider that a miracle! Good luck!

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 05-15-2019 at 04:20 PM.