Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W123 1985 300CD rear window problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2019 | 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI 1985 300 CD Turbodiesel 2021 GLC300 4matic
Question W123 1985 300CD rear window problem

My rear windows stopped going down without a helping hand. I removed the drivers side regulator and bracket that pulls the window up and down and found the bracket bent. I straightened out the bracket and had a brace welded to stop the bending. I replaced the regulator with a new MB regulator same part number. When I put the window down, it only goes halfway down. Has anyone experienced this when working on the rear windows. I braced both brackets by wielding and even the passenger side that only had the wielded bracket repaired only goes down half way, with the old regulator on it. I bought replacement brackets and they look exactly like the brace wielded bracket except for the brace. The brace is not interfering with the window travel. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

I found the problem. The long arm of the regulator needs to be moved to a position above the small arms . Then with the short arm hanging down you attach the short arm to the pin. This way you get a longer movement. If you don't operate the motor and move the arms you won't have this problem.

Last edited by algeria; 09-19-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-05-2022 | 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 Mercedes 300 CD
My rear window stopped going down

I am currently having he same issue on my 1985 300CD. I think the clips are disconnected or broken from the window. Do you know of any resources that can demonstrate how to remove the rear passenger panel so that I can replace the window clips?
Its a two-door coupe, so no door panel.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by algeria
My rear windows stopped going down without a helping hand. I removed the drivers side regulator and bracket that pulls the window up and down and found the bracket bent. I straightened out the bracket and had a brace welded to stop the bending. I replaced the regulator with a new MB regulator same part number. When I put the window down, it only goes halfway down. Has anyone experienced this when working on the rear windows. I braced both brackets by wielding and even the passenger side that only had the wielded bracket repaired only goes down half way, with the old regulator on it. I bought replacement brackets and they look exactly like the brace wielded bracket except for the brace. The brace is not interfering with the window travel. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

I found the problem. The long arm of the regulator needs to be moved to a position above the small arms . Then with the short arm hanging down you attach the short arm to the pin. This way you get a longer movement. If you don't operate the motor and move the arms you won't have this problem.