Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about flush radiator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 06:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S420
Question question about flush radiator

Hi:
It's summer now. The engine is always running at a temp between 100 and 120F (kind of high). I heard one way to solve this problem is flush cooling system. I have several question about how-to:
1. If I want to do it myself, without lifting the car, how can I fully flush out old fluid? Both in the radiator and in the block.
2. When I pour in new fluid, with 50/50 mix, how much antifreezer should I prepare for 1994 s420?
3. If there is any way to flush out old fluid without lifting the car and get into the block plugs, how to make sure there is no bubble or air in the system when pour in new fluid?
4. When flushing the radiator, do I have to unplug anything? Or just open the reservoir cap and put the garden hose in. I heard if the temp is not to the right point, some kind of device will not open when you pour water in, is this true?
5. Is it really help to put WaterWetter into the system?
6. How do you tell if the thermostate is good or bad?
7. I am kind of sure the aux fan is in good condition. I heard if the fan has problem, temp is running high too.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Last edited by MBS420; 07-23-2004 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by MBS420
Hi:
It's summer now. The engine is always running at a temp between 100 and 120F (kind of high). I heard one way to solve this problem is flush cooling system. I have several question about how-to:
1. If I want to do it myself, without lifting the car, how can I fully flush out old fluid? Both in the radiator and in the block.
2. When I pour in new fluid, with 50/50 mix, how much antifreezer should I prepare for 1994 s420?
3. If there is any way to flush out old fluid without lifting the car and get into the block plugs, how to make sure there is no bubble or air in the system when pour in new fluid?
4. When flushing the radiator, do I have to unplug anything? Or just open the reservoir cap and put the garden hose in. I heard if the temp is not to the right point, some kind of device will not open when you pour water in, is this true?
5. Is it really help to put WaterWetter into the system?
6. How do you tell if the thermostate is good or bad?
7. I am kind of sure the aux fan is in good condition. I heard if the fan has problem, temp is running high too.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Get a prestone flush kit. It will let you run the car and flush out all the dirty fluid. Used distilled water, I do because we have alot of calcium in my area and it build ups in the system. Just flushing will probably not make it run any cooler. If you have build up in there you will have to clean it out.

Always use a new thermostat, they are a high failure rate item. A new one is cheap.

My 88 260 E had always run hot since I've had it (3.5 years) I put a new radiator in it because mine had build up. It helped a bit but it still runs hot in the summer in traffice. I hav considered using 30/70 water/antifreeze mixture to help because water transfers heat better than antifreeze. Just havn't got around to it yet.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:54 PM
Almost a Member!

S420
Thanks alot.
If I want to change a thermostate, do I have to unplug something underneath the reservoir tank? To be honest, I don't know where it is. If someone can post a picture to show how to change this.