Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wet floor on W220

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s430
Wet floor on W220

I was vaccuming yesterday and discovered that the front passenger floor mat and carpet were soaking wet, stained and smelly (moldy smell) note that I keep my car in like new condition including the carpeting.

Anyhow I stopped by the dealer and they said it was either the A/C or the sunroof drain. They took it around back and cleaned out the drains.

Now earlier this week, for two consecutive days, the A/C would come on and I could hear the blower very loudly but could feel NO air come through ANY vents. It is working fine now. Don't know if this may be an indication of the water.

So my question is, has this happened to anyone and is there a way I can check & clean these drains myself?

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2004, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
sounds like A/C consendation water not being drained properly. Not sure how to check the drain. I think you have to remove passanger carpet.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:07 AM

99 C43 AMG & 2008 Corvette 1LT Z51 LS3
There is a Campaign that Mercedes put out on the W220's a long time ago about the Reed Valve getting clogged, which causes water to back up and go through the blower motor and soak the passengers side floor.

Open the hood of the vehicle, look in the black plastic grill area on the passengers side under the windshield wiper. You will probably need a flashlight to see the bottom. There is a drain that is in the corner and goes down the A Pillar to the ground. That drain has a valve on it, that's the Reed Valve. You need to use something that can reach the Valve to unclog the valve, or if everything is really caked in there then you need to take the plastic area apart and clean it.

If the car is still under warranty take it to the dealer and let them deal with it!
Old 07-26-2004, 11:55 AM

s430
Thanks for the info. I did take it to the dealer and they supposedly blew it out for me since the car is under warranty. But I will take a look for myself.