Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting badly, low miles, Jerky etc 2010 e550 Low miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W207
Shifting badly, low miles, Jerky etc 2010 e550 Low miles

I have a 2010 e550 coupe with 63k miles that hardly gets driven. Maybe 4K miles in the last 4 years. I recently put a new battery in a month or so ago not sure if related or not but it does not shift smoothly at all. It really seemed to start right after new battery but possible coincidence since Its rarely driven.

It’s mostly all at lower speeds/gears from what I can tell When I’m just “cruising” easy on the gas it seems to always feel like it’s doing weird things and never solidly locked in a gear. I’d say 50-70% throttle when it goes to shift it wants to hiccup pretty badly between 1-2 and 2-3. It has had transmission fluid change done at like 40k ish and only has 63k now so that seems to be a bit premature for that to need to be done but I’m not sure what route to go besides buying a Mercedes scanner and checking for any codes? It’s quite frustrating because I’ve been wanting to sell the car but instead just let it sit and “rot” away in my garage and when I get serious about selling now I have tranny problems. I’ve read quite a bit but didn’t really see much of any fixes other then what a dealer threw parts at etc. Ive read alot about conductor plate but its not really staying in any single gear, no limp mode etc

On a side note I just noticed oil in my coolant res. as well. Ive read about the older models leaking from tranny in radiator and would explain my transmission issues but I think this is just engine oil from what im hoping coming from the oil cooler gasket which I've ordered. I have 0 coolant in engine oil as far as I can tell. I had anxiety about that for a few days, and now onto the transmission.

Update for anyone who cares lol:
Scanned everything, vtg =- 0 fault codes at all.. I can only assume vtg is same as tcu? Its pretty in depth legit scanner. Only thing I can still think of is tranny fluid and coolant mixing. I tried to call blackstone for oil analysis they cant determine WHICH oil is in coolant so that doesnt help much. Im thinking next step would be to drain tranny fluid and check it out. Amazing to me how "smart" these cars and modules are that it doesn't even sense some kind of issue with the shifting even if it was solely from the fluid

Last edited by Smokedlights; 01-07-2020 at 04:36 PM.