Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where's the Dip Stick Tube

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Where's the Dip Stick Tube

I just bought a new 2004 E320. I have a Topsider oil extraction device and I'm trying to determine where the dip stick tube is located. I see a tube at the rear of the engine with a red cap. I assume that might be for the transmission - correct?

If it is, where is the tube for engine oil?

Also, how do I get to the air filters?

Thanks in advance,

Bud
Old 08-02-2004, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300SEL
Originally Posted by BudC
I just bought a new 2004 E320. I have a Topsider oil extraction device and I'm trying to determine where the dip stick tube is located. I see a tube at the rear of the engine with a red cap. I assume that might be for the transmission - correct?

If it is, where is the tube for engine oil?

Also, how do I get to the air filters?

Thanks in advance,

Bud
That's for the trans. Newer MBs with the electronic oil level reading system (accessed through the cluster menu) do not have a traditional dip stick. You can buy one from MB however and install it.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:34 AM
TCM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 BMW M5
To my knowledge, Mercedes has had some serious problems because of the no dipstick tube and are planning to go back to using them in newer models. I find the lack of a dipstick rediculous as it requires much too long to check the oil and the threat of starting up the car without enough oil in the crankcase. Despite all this though, it appears BMW, Porsche and other brands are follwing suit with the no dip stick route.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
I was looking for the dipstick TUBE. Not the dipstick. I think I found it in the location where the auto transmission dipstick is traditionally located. It has a removable red cap on it which makes me think it's not for the transmission.

Since dealers extract oil out of the dipstick tube, they wouldn't delete it. There is one concern I have and that is that the extractors the dealers use are different than ones like the Topsider.

I think the dealer's equipment just suck the oil up the dipstick tube while the Topsider requires that you place a plastic hose down into the sump.

The location of the dipstick tube makes me think that it isn't designed to permit the hose to get to the sump.

I'm going to be really P.O.'d if I can't use the Topsider on the new car.

BTW, the E320 is sitting beside my '91 300E in the garage and every single component on the new car has been cost-reduced...all of it! I'm really disappointed. Half the car is mouse cloth.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Dip stick tube...

Since there is no dipstick, the "oil removal" tube is to the left rear of the engine up next to the firewall as you are facing the engine with the hood up. I thought the dealers stuck a tube down it as well to suck out the oil. Some have complained about getting an oil overfill after a change at the dealer. Oil is removed and refilled by computer at the dealer and I believe the overfills are caused by incomplete removal of the used oil and the system adding a full fill amount on top of the remaining oil. No one can convince me that using the topsider is more effective than using the drain plug....but it is easier. Don't worry about using the topsider...many on this forum have used it successfully.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
After more than 40 years of changing oil the old fashioned way, the old body wasn't up to crawling under the car anymore. I recently bought a Topsider and used it on my 300E. Now I've just got the 2004 E320 and expect to change oil between what MBUSA will pay for.

The Topsider appears to do a fine job on the 300E except that I use somewhat heavy 15W-50 Mobil 1 and so it takes a while.

I found that tube with a red cap on it on the E320 and assumed that's for the oil. I'm going to feed the Topsider hose down the tube and see how far it'll go.

I think with the M112 engine, I'll just add 8 quarts to be safe. I'll also measure what I get out with the Topsider to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the informative response.

Bud