Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 98 E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 03:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98' E320
Buying a 98 E320

Hi there. Been reading this forum quite a bit and I want to say how much info I have learned and how helpful this site and associated community has been.

I am in a position to purchase my boss's 98 E320 (bose sound) with 49k miles on it and. This is a bit of a step up for me from my 98 civic, but I am very very tired of rolling up windows, tiny seats and shifting on LA's freeways. Also I know the history of this car and have driven it many times since it's delivery.

Mechanically, the car seems to be in good shape. Usual problems with regulators, MAF and harmonic balancer have all been changed (relatively recently) The drivers seat is broken as many of these are, but seems to be broken in a way that I rarely notice the clicking under different loads.

The rims are kinda shot but with new tires on it, I would most likely wait a bit before putting something nicer on it. It tracks the road correctly, but there is a vibration that only occurs between 55 and 60 on the highway. The shocks are worn bit still OK.

I have been driving this car for the last month and now it comes up with "oil sensor malfunction" on the cluster. I read on another thread that this repair often leaves a car leaking oil. That would definitely drive me nuts and convince me not to get the car.

How tough is it to make sure this repair is sealed properly and doesn't leak oil? Luckily i'm in a place where I haven't bought this car yet and can still go get a new honda with leather and nav (but without the star up front)

Also are there any other things I should keep an eye out while I still have this car under a "test drive" situation? (generically bad question I know, but still had to ask it)
Old 08-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Almost a Member!

If you are comparing a MB to a Honda, you should get ready to accept a few things before your buy it.
1. A MB will have more problems than a Honda.
2. It will be more expensive to fix and maintain in general.

But the MB will be more enjoyable driving experience along with the prestige.
If you have an oil sensor malf, you should take it to a dealer or an independant MB mechanic to see what the problem is. Could be an O2 Sensor.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just some general advice, I would suggest not to buy the car - not because of any possible mechanicel problems of which there will be some, but because its your boss. Don't mix work/friendship and money. If something goes catastrophically wrong with the car, you will blame your boss and end up resenting him/her for that. I'd say go for the New Honda accord and if you can maybe the Acura TSX to satisfy your luxury needs.

Cheers!
Old 08-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Almost a Member!

98' E320
Yeah aside from the boss thing.
--

I am definitely aware of the differences in reliability as well as cost of repairs.

But in 5 or 6 years the honda will be just a honda, but the mercedes, well, will be a benz. (I know you guys know what I mean lol)

I look at some (all) of the older merc's on this and other boards and those things just look great. I also am in absolute love with the feeling of it. LOL..

So while honda would probably be a more practical choice, I may just be hooked on the benz. Once that happens I'm stuck. The thing just feels too good.

That said I do find myself staring at the ceiling at 3am rolling these exact points around over and over. Then I get up and go look at the car and make a decision to keep it. Until the next night when I do the same thing!

I just don't think i'll ever be as happy with the new accord over the used benz. Even with a 2 or 3k repair over the next year(s)

(btw when I went to honda to test drive the accord, I was talking to the sales rep and he confided that he had a benz himself)

Last edited by TouringFan; 08-12-2004 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Almost a Member!

98' E320
On a stroke of pure random oddness, after my last post I went downstairs to have a smoke and think about all of it. The building manager was getting into her '04 accord, I mentioned to her that I was contemplating getting one.

She looked at me funny and said "WHA???? You're getting *boss's* mercedes! Do you want to trade?!?!?!? Oh heck no you should definitely get the Mercedes, I would trade in a second you look so good in that car!"

ugggh...

'nuff said
Old 08-12-2004, 08:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
I disagree about the honda. I believe they are no better than any other car. Its a plain jane boring japanese car, and it will cost the same to repair either car in most cases. The honda requires a timing belt change regularly, and just as many proprietary fluids as the Mercedes does. Japanese cars have no soul, and to many people that is fine. An enthusiast requires something more. I drive through the honda dealers lot several times a day out on test drives, they have just as many broken cars as anybody else does.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:24 PM

2010 X204 GLK350 4matic
E definitely will cost more but driving fun makes up for it

My commuter car, 103K mile 95 Accord EX, had no unexpected repair just the maintenance items. Had timing belt/water pump/flush done at 95K mile and cost me less than $600 at a dealer. I have to do B-pipe and muffler (I like that it lasted this long) which cost $550 or so at a dealer.

Accord's handling is underrated in my opinion. Put some good summer performance tires on and you get a different perspective on them curvies (unlike MXV Energy tires which squeal like agitated pigs).

On the other hand, 70K mile 99 E430 had the following unexpected repairs (given mileage): AC temperature sensor, transmission (see my other post), ball joints, intermitten check engine lights, and infuriating Lamp Light Failure warnings. Costs? Easily 2x-plus. But V8 and solid competent handling along with body integrity (in case of accidents as I don't want to drag down US longevity average) more than make up for its troubles.

If you know the car's history and if this oil thing is not serious, you would likewise come to the same conclusion after owning and driving E320. Luck.

BTW, E36 325 was the best handling car I've owned. To boot, I didn't need to employ professional help or special tools/equipment to change the water pump, thermostat, belts et cetera. It helps that inexpensive but trustworty BMW repair manuals are readily available (in contrast to the other German company). Too bad that BMW was not immune to the German "maladies" and had tiny back seats.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Almost a Member!

98' E320
Indeed, after 50k miles on the no-warranty civic there was only an O2 sensor malfunction to the tune of $120. While there is a serene confidence in knowing that after I turn the key all the check engine and associated lights will turn off, there is no inspiration. Boring being the operative word. Civics do corner like they are on rails, but... yawn.. I've always felt like I am driving a lawn mower with 4 small seats and some fenders. (Note Honda makes superb lawn mowers, but they are just that..... lawn mowers..)

My feeling about an Accord is that they are excellent machines and repairs on a new one would most likely be minimal to non-existent. However, they are nothing special and do not engage my imagination particularly. I'm not a "tuner" and wouldn't be interesting in making one special by Neuspeed'ing it or trying to make the car something it just isn't.

I love the feeling of driving the E, everything from the sounds (or lack thereof) to the feel of the road, the brakes, and of course the looks. It inspires me, I find myself (after 2 months of driving it) still leaving early and taking the long way to the office in the morning - and I am most assuredly not a morning person. Soul indeed.

I guess to me it's rather like deciding between a more "homely" lady and a model.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:27 PM

2010 X204 GLK350 4matic
Like I said,

keep both :v as they have their places.

You didn't hear that from me BTW.

Back to E320, that is one of those things I like about the car, solid stately (as many said, bank vault-like) ride. The part I didn't like compared to BMW 3-series (I know, different category) is somewhat floaty suspension and ever-so slight pull to the right at highway speed. This slight wandering apparently is not so uncommon. Good thing about German cars is that they seems to age well and retain solidity well after the Japanese cars.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 133 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Reliability vs. driveability...

My choice is driveability over reliability. You'll spend more time in the Honda unhappy with it's performance, comfort, and safety than you will in a Benz worrying about breakdowns. I have never had a breakdown in my Benz that left me without transportation. Driving is a necessity that should be made as enjoyable as possible. Everyone who has problems with their car immediately starts wishing for reliability (duh). I feel the extra time and maintenance money (if required) is worth the ride.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:08 AM

Try this: Drive both cars in to a brick wall at 45 MPH. Make sure you drive the benz in to the wall first. If you tried it with the honda, you probably wouldn't survive to do it to the benz. I looked under the hood of a coworkers civic one time, it reminded me of a go kart. I couldn't believe they make cars so small and cheap, and its the last place I would want to be in an accident! I have seen many peoples mercedes that were involved in some severe accidents, and they just walked away. Better than being chauffered to the hospital or the morgue any day of the week!
Old 08-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Did you buy the MB yet?
Old 08-20-2004, 10:03 AM

Smile

I went through the same thing last year - and wanting a Benz kept me up many nights. I had a Maxima which was very reliable and also a nice driving machine. I finally got the Benz and immediately was paying for some repair and maintenance ~ $1000.00 worth (alternator, rear window regulator, oil, ATF change, brake work etc...) - I was upset about getting this car thinking I should have kept the Maxima.
The good part is that:
-It's been a year and 10k miles later, I haven't had to pay for any more fixes (finger cross). The car drives beautifully
-The joy you have sitting behind the wheel feeling like a million bucks with envy looks from others
-I still admire her parking on my driveway every day for like 15-20 minutes a day with all her fine lines
-And best of all I sleep much better at night now

I think you should get all the little problem out of the way before buying her - The car should be quite reliable if well maintained and cared for
Old 08-21-2004, 11:33 PM
Almost a Member!

98' E320
Went away to Yellowstone and the Grand Teton's with the family for the week. Had to drive a Caravan lol. While I was enjoying the challenge of driving in thunderstorms on gravel and mud roads a Subaru WRX STi flew by me. I could only dream...

I'll be checking out the oil sensor issue this week, and providing it isn't something very serious I'll be buying it within the month.

I'll let ya know what happens.

Last edited by TouringFan; 08-21-2004 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:11 PM
Almost a Member!

98' E320
Just wanted to update, I finally sold the civic and will have the benz in my name by next week. I've been driving it since august without a problem and am still enjoying every moment in it.

Of course, I sold the civic yesterday, and today the 320 made like it didn't want to start 2 times after rotating the key. But we wont think about that right now... lol

__
Josh
Old 11-22-2004, 09:44 PM

Describe in detail "didn't want to start".
Old 12-01-2004, 05:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Get a 2000 model e-class used from the dealer with a starmark warranty. If you think that is too expensive get the honda but do not get a 1998 model car leaking with oil from your boss unless you have no love for yourself left inside you.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:09 PM
Almost a Member!

98' E320
It doesn't leak oil.

The starting problem was battery related.

Amazing that the battery was still original from 1998 and lasted that long though the car only has 50,000 miles on it.

In any case I own the car now and am loving it.

___
Josh