Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with rebuilt 722.6 - M104 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R129 320, W124 3.2 turbo
Problems with rebuilt 722.6 - M104 turbo

hi. I own a w124 with m104 engine which is being converted to turbo and wanted to install a 722.6. From the ones that fits this engine I picked one from 270 cdi (722.640) with around 160-180k mi, because it's said to be very good as it has a lot of clutches (there are versions with more but don't fit m104), it was 3th generation (584xxxx serial number) and said ok, could be nice to rebuild it, because i wanted it with new clutches to support all the power i could extract from the engine and there were some clutch material on sump.

A friend that works with a lot of workshops recommended me a man that only do auto gearboxes rebuilds, he liked my project and gave me a good price for rebuild the gearbox and torque converter as when opening it the box was in good condition, only some clutch wear. It said also he was going to try installing more clutches on some baskets and also increase vale body pressure. I installed also amg bluetop solenoids.

TCU is this: https://ofgear.dk/

Maaany months later I got it and installed in car, and it was very "hard" compared to stock 722.3 or 722.5 I've in another R129 but it worked. After 125km (80mi) of soft driving increasing rpm in the latest as were tuning the ecu and maps (0,6bar only), I make some donuts as a celebration of good day and it broke.
Result was this, broken oil pump. This photos are on his workshop. The bearing was sticked to TC.

There is something I didn't like a lot, It gave me oil castrol transmax Z which is 236.81 compatible and not 236.14 as it was supposed to be. I asked him and said this was "better", so i trusted him.

Gap between TC and oil pump was something like 3.5mm

He exchanged the bellhousing and oil pump, rectified the TC front part where it inserts into oil pump bearing as it had som scratchs and gave to me (again more months waiting, but at no cost), installed it and it maked a very bad sound like something was out of tolerances

SJsebx-vdP4

Removed box again... send to him and changed oil pump bearing and gave me another TC because tolerances could be a problem. Installed int and it was ok, only too hard changes, even N to D. After 15km started to sound bad (but working ok), checked and there were a lot of oil under the car. Put on elevator with more oil and this is the current status (1 year 1 month from the first time I sent the gearbox to rebuild), it looses a lot of oil from the TC area:

tOeHFEy064E

I asked him but no response. I don't want also to gave him the gearbox again, as I don't want to wait 6 months for another repair with bad result.
What do you think about this problems?? what can be causing them? I'm lost.

So mi idea is to buy another 722.6 from scrapyard, install it with just new oil and filter and see what happens.So i can discard my TCU is giving problems. And then if clutchs slip when I start rising the boost, I could rebuild it.

What do you recommend me?

After seeing the dissasembly of my gearbox from the man who rebuilt mine many times, checking ATSG pdf, and many threads here like those make me confident on making a rebuild in near future:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...649-parts.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post4776445

I've also in house 722.626 from 320cdi for parts (like oil pump for my current one), and this has K2 and K3 with 1 more clutch. At least my current box and TC should be with new clutches and I could use them.

thanks

Last edited by AiToR51; 08-05-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R129 320, W124 3.2 turbo
Removed gearbox and found this:

I don't know what can cause this, bad TC allingment? bad flex plate?

I will try to find a 722.9 pump with bearing and try again with this gearbox