Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel tank sending unit replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 2000 w/GPS
Fuel tank sending unit replacement

Hi,
My fuel gauge reads almost above 3/4 tank when full, I cannot even top off, tried few gas station still does the same thing. Does that means my fuel tank sending unit is broken? how to replace that? I've been searching on the fourm, no directions found. This is all happens after the dealer replaced my MAF sensor, just right after my warranty expired. what a timing. I end up paying $306 for the labor just for the MAF, dealer is kind enough to replace the part for free. Go figure on their labors!!! please read this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210/79413-check-engine-light.html
it will tell you guys more about it.

anyway I called the dealer back, they want me to watch it for couple of weeks, see if the gauge would come back. another question is when replacing MAF sensor could cost this gauge to fail also?? I don't think so right?
any help is greatly apperciated. I have E320 MY2000
Old 08-20-2004, 06:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
No replacing the MAF has absolutely nothing to do with the fuel level sending unit. You got a banner year for needing a new one, and its not hard to change at all. Takes about 5 minutes, a labor charge of one hour including diagnostic would be acceptable to me. If they wanna play hard ball just tell them to change the darn thing and don't pay diagnostic. They go out of range fairly often and on several models. Yours is one of the easiest to change. If you have a LARGE pair of channel lock pliers you could do it yourself, its virtually fool proof. Located at the very front of the truck, more towards the passenger side. Pull down the lining at the very front of the trunk starting at the upper right corner until the sending unit is exposed. 2 connectors, twist out, twist new unit in, make sure its seated, and reassemble.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:03 PM

E320 2000 w/GPS
Connector is at outside the tank?

Originally Posted by saturnstyl
Pull down the lining at the very front of the trunk starting at the upper right corner until the sending unit is exposed. 2 connectors, twist out, twist new unit in, make sure its seated, and reassemble.
So sending unit connector is at outside of the tank? I don't need to empty the gasoline tank and replace the flow meter inside? Because when I replace my shocks last time, I did pull the liner off and saw the gas tank. If it just a twist off and twist on, and No fuel exposed? Can you be a little bit more specific? How much would the sending unit cost? thanks for your help!
Old 08-22-2004, 02:30 PM

The sender is in the top of the tank, so removing it shouldn't cause any fuel to spill out. As for cost, I don't know but they aren't very expensive.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:31 PM

No fuel flows through this sender either. All it does is measure fuel level in the tank. It also has a pressure sensor in it. No line connections or anything, like I said, twist out, remove, reinstall. Its very simple.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:23 PM

E320 2000 w/GPS
No fuel flows through this sender either. All it does is measure fuel level in the tank. It also has a pressure sensor in it. No line connections or anything, like I said, twist out, remove, reinstall. Its very simple.
thanks, will wait for fuel real low and fill it back again, if it doesn't work, will order a new part. I checked fuel sending unit is around $170 now.

another question, I top- off the fuel few times about 3 days ago (since the gauge wasn't functioning correctly), I smell some gas fumes around engine compartment yesterday, like when you stand by your front fender while engine is running. But today I didn't smell anything. I heard if top off the fuel too many times, it will cost fuel ran back into the charcol air filter? I hope it didn't cost any damage.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:36 PM

If you overstuff the tank the canister will fill with raw fuel. It becomes a real problem with the purge solenoid, because when it activates the liquid fuel is sucked down the intake which results in a very poorly running engine at best and most likely it will just stall out. Some people elect to replace the canister, others just drive it till it gets all sucked outta there. I wouldn't worry about it as long as its running okay.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:40 PM

E320 2000 w/GPS
thanks for your help, I'll watch out more next time. I hope everything will be allright. Cannot believe when the warranty just out, everything just went wrong!!
Old 08-22-2004, 09:25 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts
Florida and other states had problems with Shell gas causing this within recent months.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:40 PM

We were sent a memo regarding the excessive sulfur content in some of their gasoline. It was eating the silver printed circuit off the sending units if I remember correctly.
The catch is that it was only the regular grade of fuel, which in a nutshell means only regular and midgrade were affected by this. Since we all have to run premium fuel in our benzes, we shouldn't have been affected by this thing at all!
Again, you got a banner year for failures of this part. I have replaced many of them.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:49 PM

E320 2000 w/GPS
charcoal canister replacement

Say if your charcoal canister got soaked with gasoline, is it hard to replace them? or would they enventually will evaporated out?
Old 08-24-2004, 07:14 PM

Well I don't KNOW the answer. I guess you could remove it and dump it out and hope for the best.... They aren't usually too difficult to get at, but they are all located in different places.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
I am about to replace the fuel sending units on my C240. I have two of them. Maybe they are as easy to replace as yours.

Keep us posted on your progress. I plan on putting a a step by step install guide with photo's of the procedure to help others.

We only use 93 octane gas and our sensor has been out for some time now.

Eric
Old 09-11-2004, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Wizkid.....

"I plan on putting a a step by step install guide with photo's of the procedure to help others." This would be great to see/have...please do!
Old 09-12-2004, 09:32 PM

Ford Pinto
Originally Posted by mleskovar
"I plan on putting a a step by step install guide with photo's of the procedure to help others." This would be great to see/have...please do!
Please see my other post. or just check out www.installuniversity.com

Kicker, if you decide to replace the unit, can you at least take pictures of each step. I will write it up with your help if you can supply pictures.

We need to start documenting these isntall's to help everyone that wants to do the job themselves.

Eric
www.installuniversity.com - The MB Installation Site
Old 09-13-2004, 12:11 AM

E320 2000 w/GPS
Originally Posted by wizkid
Please see my other post. or just check out www.installuniversity.com

Kicker, if you decide to replace the unit, can you at least take pictures of each step. I will write it up with your help if you can supply pictures.

We need to start documenting these isntall's to help everyone that wants to do the job themselves.

Eric
www.installuniversity.com - The MB Installation Site
well do, will take pictures if I decide to replace them. Is C-class got the same unit and location as E-class?
Old 09-13-2004, 07:38 AM

Ford Pinto
I have no idea but they can't be too different, I would think. I know my C class has two of them. One on each side of the tank. You may just have one since you have more room under the larger car. If so, lucky you!

Please let us know how this goes. I hope you end up replacing it yourself.

Eric Barger
www.installuniversity.com
Old 09-20-2004, 05:00 PM

Ford Pinto
We were sent a memo regarding the excessive sulfur content in some of their gasoline. It was eating the silver printed circuit off the sending units if I remember correctly.
The catch is that it was only the regular grade of fuel, which in a nutshell means only regular and midgrade were affected by this. Since we all have to run premium fuel in our benzes, we shouldn't have been affected by this thing at all!
Again, you got a banner year for failures of this part. I have replaced many of them.

We use Shell gas about 99% of the time. Always 93 octane. The car has never seen anything below 93. After about 75k miles on it, we noticed the problem with gauge.

Eric
Old 09-05-2005, 09:53 PM

Ford Pinto
Have an update?
Old 09-06-2005, 06:27 AM

E320 2000 w/GPS
got fixed by itself

it started working after a while...got fixed by itself, so I haven't replace it yet.