Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting rid of rust on the side steps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E320
Getting rid of rust on the side steps

Hi,

I have a 1999 ML320 with the black side steps, and I am now starting to see orange rust in a few sections.

I kind of have a multi-part question because I am planning to sell the ML - possibly to my local CarMax (the local ML dealership quoted by $12K for it).

1. Is the best way of "fixing" the problem to use some fine sandpaper on the problem areas, and then spray painting it? If so, can someone recommend the proper spray paint to use?

2. If I want the "cheapest" route, can I just spray paint the orange areas, wait for it to dry, and take it to CarMax? Are those guys well-trained enough to notice something like that (I have 1-2 problem areas on the back portion of the sidesteps - maybe about the size of a dollar bill).

3. I am assuming the worst thing to do would be for me to have the rust professionally removed because I won't recoup the cost, right?

4. If this is a 1999 ML320 with about 70K in miles, with a mild dent on the front fender (and the aforementioned rust), is $12K a fair offer? I am assuming I can get more from CarMax.

Thanks. And I am a bit pressed for time, so I don't have the luxury of going the private sale route.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
Yes, sand the rust smooth, down to bare metal. Then get an aerosol spray paint, like Rustoleum and apply several light coats, feathering to the part of the step that won't be painted. Or better yet, paint the whole thing and it will look better. Remember to mask off the body and other areas that won't be painted. Start low, work up. Keep the distance constant. Don't go too heavy.