Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 C320 Sometimes Dosen't Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 C320 Sometimes Dosen't Start

Hi All,
I have a intermitent starting problem. Usually it starts just fine,but sometimes it just keeps cranking and won't fire up. If it does fire up it just sputters and can't really go anywhere. Then again later it starts up like nothing was ever wrong.BTW, the car could be cold or hot it happens either way.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-23-2004, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did the check engine light come on? Is it dampness/humidity related? If it was hapening to me, I would put my OBD2 scanning software and log all sensors as I try and start the car specially when it's running rough to get some leads. It could be as simple as a defective ignition switch or a sensor that has a bad connection is intermittently failing like a crank position sensor.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:42 AM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
W203 C230, W210 E350, W166 ML63
Mine has the same problem, i really want to get it fixed. its sputters in the morning after a long period of not running, something like 10-15 hours. i took it to the dealer and all they did was change the spark plugs. i want to know what to actually change!
Old 08-23-2004, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally Posted by mbclassics
Hi All,
I have a intermitent starting problem. Usually it starts just fine,but sometimes it just keeps cranking and won't fire up. If it does fire up it just sputters and can't really go anywhere. Then again later it starts up like nothing was ever wrong.BTW, the car could be cold or hot it happens either way.

Thanks,
Steve
Could it be related to a "lawn mower effect"? This is when you start a car for just a short time - such as to move it out of the driveway - and then shut it down without warming up properly. This is a well-known condition, when the spark plugs are left cold, which results in carbon deposit build-up. A subsequent start is usually rough and the engine may even refuse to start at all is the plugs are flooded enough. To avoid this, always warm up the engine - even a loop around the block would do.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:36 AM

300E
sounds like the spark plug. But not very sure. Bring it to dealership.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
Did the check engine light come on? Is it dampness/humidity related? If it was hapening to me, I would put my OBD2 scanning software and log all sensors as I try and start the car specially when it's running rough to get some leads. It could be as simple as a defective ignition switch or a sensor that has a bad connection is intermittently failing like a crank position sensor.
No check engine light has ever come on. The climate is very dry since I am in Arizona. For example if I drove it yesterday it was fine. Now this morning it might just keep cranking without even a hint of starting (not even a sputter).
Thanks
Old 08-23-2004, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by vadim
Could it be related to a "lawn mower effect"? This is when you start a car for just a short time - such as to move it out of the driveway - and then shut it down without warming up properly. This is a well-known condition, when the spark plugs are left cold, which results in carbon deposit build-up. A subsequent start is usually rough and the engine may even refuse to start at all is the plugs are flooded enough. To avoid this, always warm up the engine - even a loop around the block would do.

This has happened after trying to restart after a 40 min trip as well as being cold start in the morning. It did the sputtering twice but usually it just cranks over without a hint of starting.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2004, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Check this....

Obviously we're all guessing, here's my .02.....after it turns over for a while and doesn't start can you smell raw gasoline at the exhaust pipe? You will if the fuel is being injected properly (but not being ignited). If you don't have a strong smell there is something wrong in the fuel delivery, like a bad fuel pump. If you do smell gas then there is something wrong with the ignition/spark.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try...

1. Using a different key. The SmartKey on 01 models can be problematic.

2. If that does not solve the problem, it might be the EIS.

Does it "fire" and then die right away? And then do it over and over again? If so, that is a classic symptom of the EIS going south.

If that is not the problem, then you should have someone with SDS read the adaptation values, and look closely at misfires (crank angle vs. rpm) and fuel trim adaptation. If there are lean/rich values (possible without triggering CEL) then you may have a fuel pressure or air mass metering problem. However, it does not sound like a fuel trim problem, but you never know. Misfires can come from many sources, and if present, will take a little work to track down. Can be plugs, coils, wire ends, etc.

Good luck and keep us posted if you solve it so that others might be on the lookout...