Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running / ticking noise under car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 04:28 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
W209 CLK55 - 2003
Running / ticking noise under car

I have a 2003 CLK55 with 125k miles on the clock.

Over the last year or so I have had a rubbing / ticking noise sound. It appears to be getting louder over time. If I had to guess, I would say coming from the middle of the car.

The sound appears at 20 MPH and disappears at 30 MPH. It is road speed sensitive, not engine speed sensitive (I can change gear and drop into neutral and it will be the same).

Symptoms like that point to a few things for me:
- Something wheel related. Front wheels off the ground spin freely with no issues. Difficult to check the rears. Splash guards seem solid and I didn’t detect stones or anything like that.
- A few posts suggest secondary cats at these speeds, but I had my secondary cats removed years ago and the boxes welded up
- Something prop or drive shaft related. Perhaps the centre bearing, although mileage is a bit low for that I think.
- Parking brake cable (an issue on the W203).
- Wheel bearing? Although it doesn’t make the characteristic grumble.

I got under the car and removed some of the heat shields and the prop seemed OK but I don’t know what one feels like when it is failing. Parking brake cables seemed secure.

Thoughts? At the moment I am still thinking prop bearing.