Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S212 E350 Airmatic starting to fail

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 05:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S212 E350 CDI
S212 E350 Airmatic starting to fail

Hello all,

It has happened me twice recently that after too happily passing a speed bump, the Instrument cluster showed the airmatic malfunction message.
First time i didnt stopped and after to more messages turning from orange to red, and car sagged on both front wheels. After a stop and start, suspension went up and never happened again for about one month until yesterday, when after also too quickly passing a speed bump, cluster showed the Airmatic malfunction again.
This time i stopped the car, restarted and the error dissappeared. Car drives fine after that, no sagging, no compressor running a lot of time.

I connected with xentry and found this error:

I understand that at the moment the error occurred it was sending air to FrontRight strut, but i dont see how that relates to the strong compression caused on the shock absorber by the speed bump.

Dont the struts have a local pressure valve? maybe it was opened at that same time and the air returned to the valve block causing the error?
What do you think about it? may i start focusing on the front struts, or on the valve block?

Al xentry pressure tests succeded.

Thank you in advance guys!
The following users liked this post:
chassis (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 11:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,940 Likes on 3,103 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Airmatic is extensively discussed on this site. Try using the search button in the W212 section. If it were my vehicle, I would start throwing parts at it, starting with struts and valve block. Then see what else is needed. Air suspensions on Mercedes are some of the most problematic systems. And the engines.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S212 E350 CDI
Yes, already did that. And i've read all the threads i found, and all the pdf's that some people attached for troubleshooting, but havent found a similar behavior, where a bump lead to a pressure loss, that do not happen in any other situation neither after some days parked.

So wanted to know if someone with more knowledge can associate this with some failing part. Otherwise i'll start by changing the valve block and searching for leaks on the front struts...