Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AGM , non AGM battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 214 Posts
2013 glk 350
AGM , non AGM battery

2013 Glk 350 it came with an AGM battery , 7 years old, great service it’s dying. Today my mechanic put in a non AGM battery, I didn’t know it wasn’t AGM when he did it. Besides all the benefits of AGM is it harmful to anything using wet lead acid batteries? My chargers have different profiles for AGM, how does MB adjust for the different types? I am having it switched Monday to AGM.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 321 Likes on 237 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Mmr1
2013 Glk 350 it came with an AGM battery , 7 years old, great service it’s dying. Today my mechanic put in a non AGM battery, I didn’t know it wasn’t AGM when he did it. Besides all the benefits of AGM is it harmful to anything using wet lead acid batteries? My chargers have different profiles for AGM, how does MB adjust for the different types? I am having it switched Monday to AGM.
Nothing to worry about. The deep-cycle characteristics of AGM are mainly for long life, especially in models with auto stop/start. The charging difference is negligible in the car, which doesn't really optimally charge the AGM at the slightly higher float voltage anyway. This is why a charger can take 24-48 hours to top up an AGM battery that has been "fully" charged by the car's electrical system. You want an AGM in the car, but a few days with a flooded cell won't hurt anything.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 214 Posts
2013 glk 350
Thanks for your input . I can’t think of any reason to use a Non AGM , or a wet lead acid .