Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Brake Pad Wear indicator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Check Brake Pad Wear indicator

2017 C43 AMG - "Check Brake Pad Wear" indicator appears at vehicle start. Instrument cluster "BRAKE" indicator illuminated while driving. Visual inspection indicates brake pads are not worn though. Inspected wear sensors, they are intact, plugged in. Two conductors to the sensor, ohmed them out, they have no resistance. Brake fluid level is good also.

Anyone know what's going on?
Old 12-17-2020, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,852 Likes on 2,575 Posts
2019 C63CS
Which brake pads and sensor did you check? I believe the C43 like the C63 has a front and rear sensor. The rear pads tend to wear first at least on the C63. I just had to replace my C63's rear pads at 17k miles after the warning came on in the dash. The sensor is just a wire loop essentially that wears through once the pads are worn, so it's no longer a closed circuit. Also keep in mind the outer and inner pads can wear at different rates.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:17 PM

2017 C43 AMG
Both front and rear, the sensor is on inboard pad passenger side only. Plenty of pad wear left at all four wheels, both inboard and outboard pads. Both sensors are totally enclosed in pad material, not touched by the rotor. I'm thinkin something else is going on, or a malfunction with the indicator.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,852 Likes on 2,575 Posts
2019 C63CS
You can try a brake sensor bypass to rule out the sensors. If you still get a warning after bypassing the sensors then you know the problem is somewhere else.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:59 PM

2017 C43 AMG
I found a post (How to disable the OEM brake wear sensor?) where the OP found the sensor wire abraded where it enters the body of the vehicle and broke the circuit.

I ohmed across the sensor leads and it was shorted. So I traced the wire back and just before going through the fender wall, I found a heavily rubbed spot where the wire was worn in two. Looks like maybe a grommet or clamp was missing. I fixed the wire (cut and re-spliced) and the problem went away.
This is the wire harness leading away from where the sensor plugs into the harness bolted to the caliper and into the body/chassis of the vehicle. I'll look for this possibility tomorrow.