Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Techs are you this sharp: creaking in front suspension when car is accelerating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 07:38 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
Techs are you this sharp: creaking in front suspension when car is accelerating

2008 C300 4Matic - when i say accelerating (or decelerating) i mean when the suspension is flexing cause its under load

may or may not be relevant: 7 years ago my steering rack was replaced after damage to the front left suspension (hit curb, tie rod snapped, wheel went too far back into wheel well)

I recently replaced front left tie rod (wheel had play) and upper control arm (loud clunking sound when turning wheel at parking speeds). Also just discovered front passenger side cv joint (4matic) boot broken open and grease went everywhere. But I dont think the creaking sound is from the cv joint (not that typical clicking sound)

only until recently do I have this creaking sound in the front somewhere during acceleration or deceleration. It's not a typical ball joint that chirps when going over bumps--but it still could be a ball joint. I dont know

could it be a loose steering rack or sub frame?

I feel like taking it to the dealer and paying them ($150?) to diagnose it but I wouldnt be surprised if they didnt provide a specific enough answer.

I feel like suspension repairs are simple but a pia at the same time!!!

an example would be: I'm backing out of my driveway (a small decline) turning the wheels to the right - creak is at its prime here. But it's not the steering rack itself thats creaking-it's the flexing in the suspension resulting from turning
the wheels that's causing the sound.

Last edited by LandSeaAir; 07-14-2021 at 09:19 PM.