Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 G550 Rear Main Seal Failure and Oil Seperators

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2021 | 03:35 PM

G63
2016 G550 Rear Main Seal Failure and Oil Seperators

Hello Everyone,

I'm having a warranty coverage issue.

Your help and assistance is truly appreciated.

Car was purchased with CPO at 8k miles in 2019. I added an extended MB warranty at that time for 2 years after CPO expiration...so currently covered under the extended warranty.

Car runs fine. No check engine light. About 2 months ago car started dripping a drop of oil every 3-4 days. I took it to the MB dealer which is saying the rear main seal has a leak (typically covered). Buttt they are saying that both my left and right oil seperators are bad and that because they have caused extra vacuum within the engine...this caused the rear main seal to be pulled inward, resulting in a leak.

Therefore since the oil seperators are not a covered item (frustrating as well because in my opinion they should be covered under California's emissions warranty...but I digress) they are not covering anything.

I have asked them how they can be positive the oil seperators both failed first and initially they said "we have no crystal ball," but when I called them out on that....they are now saying they are certain, but haven't provided any proof. Just "visual inspection"

How do you visually inspect a part that take 10 hours to get to? How do you visually inspect a rear main seal and state that it was sucked inward without getting between the tranny and engine?

MBUSA is denying the claim because they say that the dealer is claiming the oil seperators BOTH failed at 32k miles and they led to a typically covered part failing...hence no coverage.

Any technical help would be appreciated.

Old 09-23-2021 | 09:07 AM

2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Complete BS. I had a somewhat similar warranty experience with BMW. The automatic transmission started banging in and out of the lower gears and the dealer said the fix was an additive to the transmission fluid, which would cost me $400 (yes, $400 for a transmission fluid additive!). When I pointed out that the transmission was under warranty, they replied, "Yes, but the warranty doesn't cover fluids. Fluids are maintenance materials." I countered that, in this case, we weren't talking about replacing the engine oil or brake fluid as warranty items; we were talking about a fluid which they specifically cited as the "repair" for the faulty transmission. How could the factory-specified fix for a major component NOT be covered by the applicable warranty? Again, it's complete BS.
Old 09-23-2021 | 05:22 PM

G63
Could negative 40 millibar vacuum cause rear main seal to be sucked inward and leak?? Thats less than 1PSI of negative pressure. Dealer says negative 40 millibar measured (normal is vacuum of 5-8 mllibar), and claims this is evidence oil seperators (left and right) are bad at 32k and that because of this vacuum (1 psi) the rear main seal is being sucked inward and has failed resulting in a leak.
Old 12-06-2023 | 08:14 PM

2019 AMG G-WAGEN
Just had the same issue diagnosed on my 2019 G-Wagen. We use WI Simonson in Santa Monica. They are quoting me $3254.79 to replace both oil separators. I'm fighting to have them take care of the issue as i have the extended warranty. I see some folks on this thread saying that it's not covered under warranty as it's classified as an emissions issue. Has anyone been successful getting this issue covered under warranty?
Old 12-06-2023 | 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
MISREPRESENTED NON-SENSE... 👎

The service agent is being forced to sale you this unnecessary job. I don't think he is in the mood to generate a warranty claim for that kind of fluff. The claim adjuster won't let that fly by:
"vacuumed crankcase leaks oil".

>> High crankcase blow-by pressure is causing seals to leak OUT PRESSURE.

-- Turbo hardly have enough intake vacuum to vaccum crankcase pressure.

-- Engine dipstick may be found popped up... not from vacuum!

-- PCV on a low mileage engine can hardly be defective before 75kMi.

-- Check timing covers leaking oil particularly into alternator.

-- Replacing rear crank seal or PCV won't last 6Mo regardless of payed warranty coverage.

Besides, in the crankcase pressure chapter you may want to familiarize yourself with "oil-in-harness" associated with camshaft position sensors leaking oil into ECU harness.

-- Ask to get CPS + ECU inspected for active leaks and warranty coverage.

-- It is a $10k repair caused by abnormaly hot engines with high blow-by pressure.

-- This is common occurrence after 15kMi

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 12-06-2023 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2024 | 05:56 PM

I have a 2019 g63 with 39K miles on it and saw few drops of oil, greasy and blackish on the garage floor not sure if its the same issue, its right under next to where brake and accelerator are, i bought it used from a MB dealer about 1K miles ago and pretty new to MB's

could it be the same issue in this thread or its just normal