Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help. Info for Oil Change on M104

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
an import
Question Help. Info for Oil Change on M104

I am mechanically incline but have never done any DIY on an Benz (except change light bulbs).

I've recently just purchased the Mityvac 7201 with the intention to start doing my own oil change on my 97 E320. I went out to the car and looked at the engine to make sure I understand where everything is. I've performed a forum search for 'E320 Oil Change' and read everything that is relavant (I think) but am still confused on how to remove the oil filter housing.

When I look at the engine, the housing is a black plastic cap with Part Number 106 184 06 08 on it and then a directional arrow showing clockwise and 25Nm (torque value). How do you remove this cap? Can it be removed by hand? There isn't a lot of room for my hand so it's difficult to get any leverage.

This is not quite like the DIY article from Mecedesshop where they just used a 13mm socket and a wobble for a 95 E420. There has been mention of a special tool from the dealer in other posts. Is this what I need? If so what is the part number and what does it look like?

The part number I have for the filter element is 104 180 01 09. Is this correct and does it include the O-rings?

Thanks in advance if you can help.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1999 ML430
The tool you need is a cup type oil filter wrench that fits EXACTLY over the top of the filter. It has a square hole in the middle in which a 3/8 rachet fits for loosening/tightening.

I just picked one of these up yesterday for $5.99 at Advance Autoparts here in Atlanta. You can also order off their website. The part # is Ampro T70402, a 76mm/14 flute cup wrench. I am 99% certain this fits all mercedes products, but not positive. Be careful not to over-tighten !!
Old 09-18-2004, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
an import
Thank you. I'm going to check this out at the local auto store tommorow along with a small 3/8 torque wrench.