Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 C240 Air Filter Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 09:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
2002 C240 Air Filter Change

I just swapped out my air filters on my 240 for MY first time (86,006 miles). Since our car just exited the warranty period I am going through and documenting general maintenance items and anything else that comes up.

A few interesting things I found during the swap.

1. NAPA air filters, are the same brand and identical twin to the Mercedes Benz air filter.

2. The right intake tube on the main body side, where the main body and front intake tube meet, a chunk of plastic had been broke off. I assume this was done during a service or at the factory. Hard to tell but the tube sealed over the chunk so all is fine. Still a bit aggravating to find.

3. We found a cigarette bud in one of the air filter boxes. Hopefully, this doesn't mean my car will have health problems down the road from this wild and lucrative activity.

I will have the install document up later this week with photographs for everyone to ponder.

I am not sure what the cost of air filters are from MB, but I will post the price I paid for the NAPA ones on my website when I finish the install document.

Eric
www.installuniversity.com
Old 09-20-2004, 02:04 AM

Ford Pinto
You can check out the photo of the filter comparison on my website now. The install document is not done but the comparison photo is up. www.installuniversity.com take the Mercedes link then the Air Filter link.

Eric
Old 09-20-2004, 09:04 AM

Ford Pinto
The cost of the air filter through the MB of Knoxville dealer was $53 before tax.

The cost of the air filter through NAPA was $33.34 before tax.

As noted above, they are the same exact filter.

Eric
Old 09-20-2004, 06:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
As I recall, there is a half moon shape missing from the air filter housing... I believe they are made this way although I don't know why.
I have found rat nests, mice, dog food, cigarette butts, birds, and all kinds of junk in air filter housings.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:16 PM

Ford Pinto
Hey, that halfmoon shape fits the description. Ok, that's weird. But I am glad I know it wasn't my dealer or the factory. That sets my mind at ease.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 09-20-2004, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Half moon....

my guess is that it makes installation easier.