Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jumpstart post and engine fuse box has to be bridged

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
None yet
Jumpstart post and engine fuse box has to be bridged

My wife tried to jump start a ‘06 MB R350 connecting a live battery's positive to the bolt at the engine compartment fuse box and the live battery's negative to the jumping post. After trial and error, if I connect the jumpstart post to the bolt at the fuse box, it starts and runs. This is the only combination that will crank the car and keep it running. Once I disconnect that bridge cable it dies. Also, when the bridge cable is removed an error message on the dash says something similar to "drive drectly to your dealer and do not shift gears". As soon as I reconnect that bridge wire it goes away and the car is essentially back to normal. If there are no components between the fuse box and the jump post, how could this be happening? Is there any relation to the aux battery? Seems like a big stretch but I do know the aux battery was dead the same time as the main battery because I could not move the seat, everything was dead.

Also, I just replaced the main battery about a month ago. Nothing was left on so something is draining the battery. Also, the SRS dash light is on saying the front right is not working. I know this can signal a bad battery, would this message come on related to a bad aux battery?Also, I just replaced the main battery about a month ago. Nothing was left on so something is draining the battery. Also, the SRS dash light is on saying the front right is not working. I know this can signal a bad battery, would this message come on related to a bad aux battery?

Also, I just replaced the main battery abo

Last edited by Jhawker23; 11-24-2021 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,489 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Time to pay for a professional diagnosis.
Old 11-25-2021, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 990 Likes on 758 Posts
G550
What does the owners manual describe as being the correct connecting points and procedure for jump starting?
Old 11-25-2021, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,488 Likes on 2,325 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
Originally Posted by Jhawker23

replaced the main battery about a month ago. Nothing was left on so something is drainng the battery. Also, the SRS dash light ion saying the front right is not working. I know this can signal a bad battery, would this message come on related to a bad aux battery?

Also, I just replaced the main battery abo
don't burn down your car while driving!
You got lucky with this clever bypass, now use an electric diagram to figure what's the problem and the fix.

There must be a bad 350Amp main fuse link in your prefuse... CAUTION!